2021 Collab: Week 45 “Useless Machine” - CLOSED

Not acording to Newtons law. Every action has an eaqal and oposite reaction. This setup should always stay still. Fan and the sail will cancell each other out.
And it case Newton was wrong it would pull cable out, still eseless :yum:

4 Likes

Well I guess it depends on what the sail is made of then :face_with_monocle: not trying to deny uselessness of it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What you mean?

1 Like

Well if the sail is made of fabric some of the airflow will go through it :grin: so opposite reaction won’t be equal

3 Likes

You got me there. Can’t argue with that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
But this one is made of what they use to make windsurfing sails. Reinforced plastik foil. Just some old offcut.

2 Likes

I am still however suspicious about the setup. Kind of makes me want to try this at home :grin: and review physics curriculum :face_with_hand_over_mouth: no doubts about Newton’s law, just wondering if the impact from the ‘whirlwind’ on reactive force is the same. My gut tells me the air doesn’t go straight in one direction and doesn’t just simply bounce back… Got me thinking about how things work, thank you :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have done some more research about thins. It turns out that if sail was a flat plane it would disperse air flow to the sides and forces would be cancelled out. However with the sail shaped like on my render air flow would get redirected backwards under and over airstream of the fan propelling the whole thing forwards. So I’m ready to consider that you were right :sweat_smile:
My idea in this project was to achieve breeze like lightness and balance in colours with right amount of contrast. Also modern environment contrasting with old recycled materials yet maintaining perfect harmony.
Its amazing how much stuff we learn out of this collabs. 3D modelling, science, abstaractionism. What else? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I guess a little bit of everything :slightly_smiling_face:
And sorry I focused on the behaviour of your ‘prototype’ first. Love the texturing and materials, forgot to mention that :grin:

2 Likes

Ok now you mocking me :rofl:

1 Like

Without trying to check the science of all this. I am not convinced anything would move it forwards (right in image). Sail shape or anything else. If the fan pushes X amount of force forward, that force is applied backwards on the ‘craft’ it sits on. If the sail was not there, it would be pushing the craft away from the front end. Like those swamp big rear fan powered boats. With the sail, the blown air just acts through attachment entirely to the same craft in the opposite direction.

It might be possible it would still move backwards slightly, if the sail failed, as it would, to collect all the moved air, so getting less push than the total the fan is generating and thereby pushing the craft backwards.

All would probably require near perfect frictionless wheel bearings and a smooth surface, and an on board battery, not a plugged in lead of course!

3 Likes

Was going to put a bit more time and effort into this but I couldn’t find the time this week. So it certainly looks like the inventor half assed this one.

I did learn how to make tire tread though. So not all bad. What do you think? 3D printer, winch or just something?

5 Likes

I though the same until I saw this clip.
Without building one of this and trying personally. I cant say for sure. But this video looks convincing.

5 Likes

Good looking tyre threads. Precisely made :ok_hand:
Interesting environment too. Busy looking. Is that inside default cube?

1 Like

There are so many variables… Those wheels made of wood… I think it would be really hard to make it move with or without fan😁

1 Like

It is made inside a slightly modified default cube.

1 Like

Voting for “Useless Machine” theme - week 45

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the next subject, week 46 " Amusement park has already started. The winner of this week’s “Useless machine” challenge may select a subject for week 47.

2 Likes

:eye:

Weird. Yet he does not explain how or why it happens.

Need to ask veritasium

2 Likes

Congratulation @Mateusz , for your cool breeze wind powered “useless machine” vehicle.

• FedPete - Totally useless entry.
  • Caleb_Kofoed - Fun entry. I miss a couple mouse clicks. Improving it by smoothing the banana and background.
  • Rao - Also a really good idea of “Useless machine”. But I think the smoke gets a lot of visual attention. And the mech debris is difficult to read. Maybe use two different colors for the mechs.
  • simgen - Love the texture, but the red text doesn’t, somehow, integrate into the paper texture. Adding some noise (normal map) could help. It’s always in the details.
  • Oliver_Noone-Jones - Great machine look (glossy, lighting). But the machine is useful, the blob object less.

Have fun, stay healthy.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms