2021 Collab: Week 27 “High Altitude” - CLOSED

Here is my entry. View from outer orbit. Its about to be an interesting day on earth :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Facts …

The atmosphere ends at the Kármán line, it’s simply that at that altitude, it becomes too insignificant to support flights that rely on ‘air quality’.

Here’s a fun fact: you don’t have to fly beyond the Kármán line to officially be considered an ‘astronaut’; according to the US Air Force’s definition of an ‘astronaut’, all you have to do is fly more than 50 miles (80 km) above mean sea level to earn that title!

So passing this line, you are in outer space … no altitude …

2 Likes

Not sure if this is high enough, but kid got some altitude for sure.

10 Likes

Im no expert but if what they say is right you should be able to sustain flight on Mars up to 50miles high. Given that according to that article Kármáns line on earth and Mars are very muvh the same.Mars atmosphere is like 1% of the one on Eart so it makes no sense. Even with gravity at 1/4 ingenuity had to spin its rotor to over2500rpm just to get lift at 4m high. In Earths atmosphere it take 500rpm for big ass helicopter. So something is off in that article.

1 Like

Things like blade design, and general lift capacity off the top of my head when comparing a helicopter to ingenuity. A helicopter can have a lift capacity of almost 20,000 pounds or almost 10 tons. Ingenuity has a lift capacity of 11 pounds. Helicopters typically use a single router with two blades for lift and a tail rotor for stabilization while ingenuity uses a dual rotor/4 blade configuration for both lift and stabilization.
Essentially it’s not fair to compare two flight crafts with completely different engineering, regardless of external factors such as differences in gravity and atmospheric pressure and density.

Edit:
After a little searching and some rough maths, ingenuity already weighs 13.64% of it’s own lift capacity while a helicopter only weighs 1.44% of it’s own lift capacity. That alone means much less rpm is required to lift a helicopter than ingenuity.

1 Like

I agree they are different designs. But thats because of Mars thin atmosphere. If what they say was true given Mars 1/4 gravity of the Earth it should have at least 25% dencity of Earths atmosphere to have similar Kármáns line. Venus example makes sense 250miles. But Venus atmosphere is much greater than here for us. Way I understand it with Kármáns line its all about gravity to atmosphere dencity ratio. So for distance to be the same, ratio would have to be the same. If that was the case. They could just send simple rc craft and it would work just as well.

But ingenuity operates in 1% of earths atmosphere. On earth its capacity would be much greater

Thinner air/less atmospheric density would require more lift, the lower gravity would counter those in some ways, but not enough to make up the lift difference. Gravity has no impact on the Kármáns line so it is only atmospheric density that is taken into account when calculating lift. Although, I think I lack the ability to explain it well enough, but I know it makes sense that it would require more rpm to get lift in Mars atmosphere than it would on Earth.

You explain it well enough.
I just dont see this:
" While the Kármán line is defined for Earth only, if calculated for Mars and Venus it would be around 80 km (50 miles) and 250 km (160 miles) high, respectively. "
If Kármáns line is boundery above witch you cant support aeronautical flight. Due to air being to thin. How on Mars could it be as high as Earth one if you couldnt fly paper plane on Mars ground level.

not finished but here I want to go higher

8 Likes

Wow!, Such shape and details. Great one! Isn’t the main fueltank brown?

We nearly reached our highest altitude, with one day to go. Our next challenge will be “Product Advertisement” where you can try to sell your high altitude products. Or something else …

Next week 28 challenge

Subject “ Product Advertisement ”.

Note: If one of you in the list below, don’t want to receive a signal for the announcement of a new Blender collab subject. Give me a private message. And also send me a message if you want to be added. @FedPete

Signal: @Alex_Rusu @Ananda_Namaste @anfloy @Blest @billmih @Caleb_Kofoed @Cyndi @Digitz @Ethan_Martinez @elibyy @iamindieps @Jaco_Pretorius @JaneDoe @Josa_Booba @Kartik_Nair @Leon_V2 @Marijus @Martiine @Mateusz @Munsa @Navarshi_Mahanta @niladri_ghosh @NP5 @Orion_Dauter @Rao @Reginaldo_Junior @Seblecaribou @Sblendid @ShyDragon @Simone_Rossaini @Tanunen @Tetiana_Stasiv @TripleJ @WillyEckerslike @xMezzy @Yee @yo_johann

2 Likes

I did a bit more research and there are some other factors to the Kármáns line. It is given a rounded number so it is easier to remember and run calculations, so both Earth and Mars actual Kármáns lines are above the 100 km and 80 km respectively. Also, while they seem close or similar in height from each planet’s surface, the distances are figured from the center of the planet. The Earth’s radius is 6371 km so the Kármáns line would be 6471 km while Mars has a radius of 3389 km so the line for Mars would have a radius of 3469 km. Considering those factors, the actual height of the Kármáns line is just a representative distance where the atmospheric lift is no longer effective in flight.
The Kármáns line doesn’t determine how much lift is required to achieve flight below that line within a planetary atmosphere, it just marks where aeronautical flight no longer works and astronautical flight needs to be used.
I learned quite a bit from this weeks collab. :smiley:

3 Likes

Fascinating stuff, though I will instantly forget it!

I have an entry to contribute! I didn’t have much time this week so I tried speeding up my scene with some (free) outside programs. I used Gaea to generate terrain and texture maps, into which I plugged in megascans in Blender. I did get to play around with generating cloud cover in Blender like I wanted to, and I churned out the render using cycles.

Whew. Happy I got to participate. Loved reading those definitions of altitude, and seeing what everybody came up with!

7 Likes

cool, i like the fog and atmosphere, well done.

1 Like

Voting entries week 27 “High Altitude” theme

We have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the next subject, week 28 “ Product Advertisement has already started. The winner of this week’s “High Altitude” challenge may select a subject for week 29.

1 Like

Geeze, it’s getting harder each week to choose. You’ve all gone over the top this week. Good luck to all participating. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good job everyone, best of luck…

@Digitz , congratulations on winning the weekly Blender collab on the subject “High Altitude”.
Your entry gave the best visualization of high altitude. Great job!.

Privacy & Terms