2021 Collab: Week 11 “Hair salon” - CLOSED

Looks awesome! If I may ask, how did you make the text? Displacement map? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blender has a text object, you can choose from every font on your system. Not all fonts will work well.

2 Likes

New challenge “Fairytale”.

Still, some hours left to finish the “Hair salon” challenge!

Signal: @anfloy @Blest @billmih @Digitz @Ethan_Martinez @Exitus19 @iamindieps @Jaco_Pretorius @JaneDoe @Josa_Booba @Kartik_Nair @Leon_V2 @Marijus @Munsa @Navarshi_Mahanta @niladri_ghosh @NP5 @Orion_Dauter @Rao @Reginaldo_Junior @Sblendid @ShyDragon @Simone_Rossaini @Tetiana_Stasiv @xMezzy @Yee

4 Likes

FedPete is right, I added a couple Text objects and increased the Extrude in the Text Geometry setting.

2 Likes

Spring Vibes

8 Likes

Great entry.

I actually like the fact the wallpaper is badly put up and the pattern does not match up! Helps make it a wallpapered room.

Eevee

9 Likes

The Haircut Covid has make me laugh! Love it!

2 Likes

Voting entries week 11 “Hair salon” theme

We have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the next subject, week 12 “Fairytale is already started. The winner of this week’s “Hair salon” challenge may select a subject for week 13.

This time not so many entries. Maybe the weather, Covid19, or people don’t visit the Hair salon that much? Who knows. Still good entries. I see a growth in Blender experience and composition. Well done everybody!

So I added color.
The materials are mostly procedural, I added more plants and a light above the roof access door.

8 Likes

Booooo !!! I came in last place…

That’s it… I’m not playing anymore :sob:

1 Like

It’s all about storytelling and composition.
What is the message you are trying to express in a single illustration?
Hair salon vs Barbershop.

1 Like

Don’t be upset. Your picture is perfect. Don’t think of it as a competition. This is an incentive to practice. And the ability to see how different people represent the same topic. I voted for FedPete’s picture because it’s funny. But yours has revealed something new to me. I haven’t seen this sign before, I looked it up on Wikipedia, and I even showed it to my friends…

4 Likes

@Blest - oh no, I truly am joking about not playing. It’s faux upset. Not real at all. And I know it’s a fun inclusion thing and not a competition thing.

My barbers sign was actually from what was the barber / surgeon of old.

I included blue from the image I used, but this typically wasn’t included in these poles outside their practice, just leaving the red and white which I believe referred to the blood and bandages.

@FedPete, yes I see the story aspect is important - but I think this is a little incompatible with most of the community - perhaps why such a low involvement, and a (considered / anticipated) lack of a depth of knowledge also to create full scenes.

Most of the active community (it seems to me) are so busy with the course material that creating a complete scene in a week would leave little or no time for the course material.

I will undoubtedly join in again in the future, time permitting.

2 Likes

Oh, maybe it’s my fault. I just like to create scenes. And it all started with simple things. And I was afraid to join in, too. People just don’t understand that you can make a comb or scissors for the topic…

3 Likes

Oh now there’s an idea I hadn’t thought of. Brush, comb, scissors, and the sterilizing unit they keep things in from customer to customer.

3 Likes

Yeah I agree with @Blest and @Miss_B, that creating a model and not necessarily a complete scene is likely a more attractive and welcoming notion to entering the Weekly Collab, particularly for those engaged in course content (which seems to be the majority).

That’s not to say that people should be dissuaded from going ‘all out’ and creating a story or scene - I just don’t think most users have the time for that as well as the course material (as I mentioned above).

2 Likes

Don’t be disheartened, practice comes from failure… Avoid sarcasm, and keep practicing; hopefully one day your jokes will be funny. :+1:

2 Likes

@Jaco_Pretorius - This reply is totally unnecessary and not very friendly.

It is necessary to know that sarcasm does not translate into text-based communication and should be avoided.

This is meant as friendly advice.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms