2021 Christmas Special Collab - end of the year challenge - CLOSED

Alright. I had my fun (and lot of learning), now you can have yours!

How many Santas will it cost you to deliver the gifts?

Structures and most props are from the Unity asset store, but all animated assets (except for fallers in level 3) and main gameplay details like sleigh and helicopters I made in Blender. And some props, too.
It was lots of baking and research. And wasted models (the total amount of wasted Santas is incalculatable).

6 Likes

Dead at first try … beautiful made rocket exhaust. Made it through the first level, the second too difficult. Becasue the keyboard response was slow.
Plus point for the real 3D santa, well done.

1 Like

I couldn’t defeat the seam issue though. I used the remesh modifier for retopology. Manual retopo would be better but I’m not good at it yet.
Later I’ll share cheats so it goes easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Made trough first lvl. 4 santas dead :slight_smile: Second to much ice falling and not enough time to react. Maybe if you could see them in advance and they like shake a little before breaking and falling would give some indication. Cool sound effects :ok_hand:

2 Likes

That’s why the music theme of the level is a hardcore track :smiling_imp:
Small hint: reaction is not the best tactics here, most of the dynamic obstacles are designed so you can’t dodge them. Try to find safe zones and good timings instead.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I guess it does feel a little empty as a video. I’m using it as an animated desktop background. :grinning:

Abandoned over ambitious project and adapted my low poly cottage.
Got to play with the snow add on and particles for the falling snow,
Ok so the tree is an evergreen and the flowers stay as they are plastic!
Found a suitable winter grey like sky, for a nearing dusk, liked the moon’s lucky positioning.
Added LP cat. Made one bird into a robin. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Thought of adding my hedgehog, but it said it was hibernating.

Edit. Updated after some photoshop minor adjustments.

9 Likes

I like how the falling snow are snowflakes and not just particle points. And the cat :grin: Nice composition and lighting.
My only question is: how is it snowing with no clouds in the sky? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

lol Clouds are over the viewer, gentle wind blowing them forward. The whole thing is on a floating in space island anyway so a bit of fantasy is permitted, and excuses all illogicality! :rofl:

4 Likes

I need a few more hours to fiddle, but time is scarce. So this is it.

Summary
  • Light beams missing … (noise volumetric render …) grrrr.
  • Floor tiles, more details needed
  • Tree lights … not what I imagined
  • "Blender collab (late addition) went wrong
  • Goal was an animation …
  • Fur, more details, too blurry
  • Prsents, too simple need tiny details (colors…?)
  • Text “Merry Christmas” unreadable.
  • Cycles 2.91 - 1024 samples. 40min.
8 Likes

I know you like realism, but the moon … I see it now.
maybe bigger and more emphatically present? It can add more color to the scene.

1 Like

Oo I like it :grinning:
Nice composition and so colorful, I like the star illuminating the top of the tree, nice focal point.
It seems like you put a bunch of effort into Santa’s face thought, which we can’t see hardly at all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Very nice indoors celebration Christmas. Whereas mine is more the bleak mid winter! I had the original bright blue sky background, but while more colourful it seemed wrong. I could have cropped the background image I guess, to move the moon higher but I quite liked the less obviously orchestrated placing.

Updated it with photoshop post processing, I must do that more often! Only simple brightness contrast adjustments. Nothing clever or fancy. I suspect I should turn off Blender ‘filmic’ distortion?

3 Likes

Very nice bussy and colorfull scene. But I agree with @ZachDude . You put so much effort in to santa and most of it is not showing. Which is a shame. Maybe different camera angle? Perhaps showing his face expression whilst reaching over to christmass tree?

1 Like

I tried snow addon today after seing Yours entry recently. It does fine job but this thing adds tones of polycount. Have to be carefull.
I agree with you about the moon. One can see it’s there, yet its not in your face. Its like additional point of interest with certain secrecy.
I was looking for a cat on the roof. Cliché .
Nice surprise to find cat by the door.
Well planned scene. In my humble opinion.

2 Likes

There were some comments about this aspect of Santa … but sometimes, working on the final composition, you decide to do things differently.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a good thought. I do it sometimes too. Or just to see, what the problems are.

1 Like

My goal was to animate the scene. Put a lot of effort in rigging several objects. I wanted to have an rotating animated orange alarm light bulb. But the I need some volumetric fog (hard to do on my machine). Santa’s hat has 6 bones to animate, etc… all preparation (and test renders) take a lot of time.

• I have stopped creating objects for a single purpose, like creating a Santa without a face, if the face is not seen.
  • I have stopped creating objects in high details and ultra configuration possibilities.
  • What I do, is generating clean models, good documentation, clean mesh so I can add details if required. Place them in collections, so re-use is easier. The same for texturing, Clean UV-meshes, not too fancy.
  • I do use shape keys, on simple objects, to generate variations. Improving re-use possibilities.
  • I must admit that the Santa puppet re-used many times. Needs a redo. Eye lids, more hand mobility (fingers, bones). So gradualtely improving my assets library.
3 Likes

As promised.

Here are the cheats

N+L - Next level
N+C - god mode

And here are some video captures:
Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

4 Likes

Amazing. This type of game was my first bought game ever. VIC-20 Jupitar lander, with fuel tank.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms