2018-09-04 Delving into the course

Hellowz Hellowz to all who read this,
I’m Terrance Turner (25). Games have played a constant role in my life from escaping reality to enjoying the experience of new worlds and puzzles to spending time with friends. Since they’ve been so integral to my life i was hoping to end up learning the skills and talents necessary to develop them myself. Not looking to make a job out of it. However there are many games i want to remake and put my own twist on, additionally I’ve got plenty of ideas, stories and puzzles i want to make as well. So hopefully i’ll garner the skills that i need to make my dreams come true! On the flipside i think it would also do me alot of good to talk with others who have similar goals and possible help them if im able. I will admit i do tend to be a bit of a hermit so i do apologize for that.

Anyways now that the wall of text is complete, GOOD LUCK and may you achieve your goals as well!

2018-09-04 S1L7
Returning to default layout from the mess layout
1: Shift + F5 —> full screen 3d view
2: drag hash corner from top to create new window
3: change new window to info screen
4: use layout selection on info screen to select default layout

Success!

2018-09-05 S1L11 Challenge

Feeling like a kid who just discovered lego XD
and glad to find out that copy pasta works in blender, helped me build my brickwall/robot?
looking forward to seeing how this progresses

2018-09-05(1:22am)
Alright finished up S1!
it’s a bit late for me tonight to jump into S2 so i’m going to get some sleep.
so far everything has been clear and straightforward so that’s good.
will keep posting as a continue on. Chao for now folks and good night! :sleeping_bed:

2018-09-05 (3:40pm)

wedge complete!

2018-09-05 (3:56pm) S2 L20

moved my wedge so it points upwards, is half it’s original size and is at (0,4,2)!

2018-09-05 (4:13pm) s2 L21

didn’t quite understand by what Ben meant when he said without moving it’s base so i just watched his answer.

2018-09-05 (4:29pm) S2 L22

wasn’t quite sure what a periscope was, so after googling it i get even more confused as to how i was supposed to do it with only 2 wedges and a cube. so uhhh, here you go?

2018-09-05 (4:33pm) S2 L22

ohhhhhh!

2018-09-05 (4:56pm)[Took a break] S2 L24

removed all my duplicate verts one by one. kinda funny how Ben does it just by highlighting everything and clicking 1 button! where it took me at least a minute

2018-09-05 (11:11PM) S2 L27

it looks silly :laughing: gatta admit i really wanna throw rocket pods and machine guns on this thing right away.
it’s funny to think this will be the cornerstone to me recreating planes from an old Xbox game called “Crimson Skies”

2018-09-05 (11:34pm) S2 L28

Ben mentioned adding stairs but i don’t quite know how to go about doing that wthout adding extra cubes. tried insetting but that just makes the whole thing look cluttered. hopefully i’ll figure out how to do it effeciently and come back to make this bad boy all flushed out. also i’ll probs but a turret on it :smiling_imp:

2018-09-06 (12:07AM) S2 L29

Loop cut down the center
Loop cut on top of previous cut and then slide over 1 unit
repeat on the other side
couldn’t figure out how to get rid of my original cut and instead of pressing Ctrl+z i pressed Ctrl+x which solved the issue. Hooray for my lucky misclick! :smile:

2018-09-06 (12:19AM) S2 L30

targeted edges, used box select, deleted the edges and built my ramp

2018-09-06 (12:41AM)

extruded my ramp with snap tool targeting edges to the top side, then for the bottom i selected the bottom edge of my ramp and went to translate it with snap, set to increment, while moving i excluded the X axis and it lined up. Finally turned on backface culling and saw my ramp dissappear so i selected my whole structure and set the normals to face outwards

2018-09-06 (1:22AM) S2 L32

Guuuuuuuhhhh those railings were so hard, i tried and tried and tried. Finally just watched the vid to see that i deleted the old ramp face, extruded a couple edges to make the railings from, filled the rest of the ramp back in. then i tried to go on from there but could not for the life of me realize that when extruding the railings upwards i could do it along the Z axis. At least connecting the top of the railings to the rest of the pyramid was easy enough. Just extruded 1 unit cuz i knew the step was only that long. well at least now i know :sleepy:

2018-09-06 (1:55am)

had absolutely no idea how to use the array to make the steps go in the way i wanted. at first i created a cube and tried to fit in where a step would be. Then pulled it away and used the array to make alot of them. then tried manually placing them. after making it all the way to the top i watched the explanation. GEEEEEZZZ that was soooo much easier. went back and redid it from the save before all my hard work XD

2018-09-06 (4:02PM) S2 L34

BAM now i’ve got the frog temple! :frog:

This is really awesome and detailed. I’m liking it!

1 Like

2018-09-10 (4:07 PM)
WOOOOOOO!
Thankyou for taking a look @John_Moore!
you made my day! I work during the weekends so but i’ll do best to keep this updated as i progress through the course.
Thankya again!

1 Like

2018-09-10 (4:20 PM) S2 L38

before continuing on, i’m going to make a few meshes and models to refresh on what i’ve learned. so here’s a simple dagger. I should try and us an array next i think

Privacy & Terms