Yeti Retopology Finally Finished!

After at least 6 hours of painstaking work I finished retopologizing my yeti. I decided to do it manually which was a chore because I want this to look professional since im going to be selling it. The horns have terrible topology because i decimated them since they wont be animated anyway. I would say this model is rather high for a retopologized mesh but it’s still definitely game ready. It will work perfectly in Unreal. The model has it’s fair share of triangles and endgons because sometimes I js had to make them to fit the shape together. But overall it’s mostly quads and im happy with it. I definitely wont be editing this topology anymore. It’s driving me crazy!

4 Likes

Better than auto, well done. Fair enough if you have had enough but some more even spacing would help.

3 Likes

This is the second time I automatically did it and i keep on seeming to have that issue. My best guess is making the quads much bigger than adding more detail after

Your feet has missing faces!!!
Model isn’t manifold!

… so much work, well done!

3 Likes

Ah worked out I saw those and assume it was odd triangulated topology he had run out of willingness to tinker fixing.

2 Likes

Yeah i guess i was so tired i didn’t see the missing faces lol. I js recently fixed that part. Sry im still learning about topology. what does the term manifold mean?

1 Like

Just means the mesh is completely enclosed and connected - no holes or gaps anywhere. If, for example, you took one face and separated it into a new mesh without moving it, the original mesh still looks intact on the surface, but it’s no longer manifold because it’s not connected - you have a hidden hole. That’s also why Merge-By-Distance doesn’t guarantee that the mesh is manifold (though it does go a long way).

Keeping meshes manifold is important, because non-manifold meshes can break stuff pretty easily =)

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms