Yet another way to snap bottom to the ground level

I wanted to share another method I found for the bottom part of the stairway, as I wanted to have it aligned perfectly :wink:
So what I did to align the bottom segment is:
Step1
Select faces and extrude in place (e + esc)

Step2

Select this edge, and move it down in z axis, snapping to the opposite edge of the Pyramid – it will snap to 0z (there are a lot of edges you can snap to, but I think it cant be adjacent edge to what we are moving, as it creates some strange sort of effects - it basically spins the edge around z)

Go to vertex mode, snap to highlighted edge and move in x axis. Repeat this step for other 3 verts left

It aligns perfectly but requires some work with single verts.
OR
3B.

You can replace last step with edge select, move along x axis and snap to that rail edge – you just can’t snap to the last segment of the rail, you need to snap to the higher one. (same situation as with the first snapping.)

In the end - remove doubles (or merge by distance to be precise :wink: ). Or you can slide the repeating edge to the middle of bottom face to have the same topology as we have it in the course.

3 Likes

Good description of how you did things.

I find that β€˜edge rail’ useful often. GG slide back a bit, then C makes rails forward into space on the same rails. Great tool.

Snapping is tricky to use, doubt I would use it here.

I had to experiment with that GG + C option to get whats it about, but it really is great! Thanks! :slight_smile:

On the other hand I think it wouldnt work here for me, as I wanted to keep the topology (I wanted that last 45* edge from the bottom of the pyramid to the rail, and the rail segments to be rectangular - for no patricular reason to be fair. But now when i think about it, that might be helpful while texturing, which Im never going to do with this model anyway.)

Either way - thanks for the tip again as it really helps!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms