Yet Another Poor Soul Failing to Build the BullCow Game

Hi, guys!

Just getting started and I’ve already run into an issue, haha. When I try to compile the Bull Cow game for the first time I get this message:

" Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.25/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“C:/Users/caleb.atkins/Desktop/original (2)/BullCowGame-starter-kit/BullCowGame.uproject” -game -rocket -progress -log=“C:\Users\caleb.atkins\Desktop\original (2)\BullCowGame-starter-kit/Saved/Logs/UnrealVersionSelector-2020.05.20-16.39.07.log”
Discovering modules, targets and source code for project…

ERROR: Could not find NetFxSDK install dir; this will prevent SwarmInterface from installing. Install a version of .NET Framework SDK at 4.6.0 or higher."

If I try to compile a second time, an error comes up saying:

"The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version:

BullCowGame

Would you like to restart?"

When I click “yes” I get this:

“BullCowGame could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually.”

I’ve seen another poster with similar issues here: "Could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually.".

The advice they were given was to build the VS solution, which I cannot seem to find in the folder (there is no file with a .sln or .xcodeproj).

My Unreal Engine version is 4.25.0, and, best I can tell, so is the Bull Cow project. VSCode is currently updated to version 1.42.1.

I have ensured that Unreal uses VS Code 2019 for compiling, rather than 2017.!

I’ve attached the offending portion of my log file. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Launching UnrealBuildTool… [C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.25/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -Mode=QueryTargets -Project=“C:/Users/caleb.atkins/Desktop/UE Res/BullCowGame-starter-kit/BullCowGame.uproject” -Output=“C:/Users/caleb.atkins/Desktop/UE Res/BullCowGame-starter-kit/Intermediate/TargetInfo.json”]

LogInit: Warning: Incompatible or missing module: BullCowGame

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.25/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe Development Win64 -Project=“C:/Users/caleb.atkins/Desktop/UE Res/BullCowGame-starter-kit/BullCowGame.uproject” -TargetType=Editor -Progress -NoEngineChanges -NoHotReloadFromIDE

ERROR: Could not find NetFxSDK install dir; this will prevent SwarmInterface from installing. Install a version of .NET Framework SDK at 4.6.0 or higher.

LogInit: Warning: Still incompatible or missing module: BullCowGame

LogCore: Engine exit requested (reason: EngineExit() was called)

LogExit: Preparing to exit.

Believe they’re not using UE4 4.25 at this time so you’re probably on your own there.

“EngineAssociation”: “4.22”

However, you should be able to fix the NetFxSDK issue by updating VS code net packages if you wish to continue to attempt using 4.25 here. There may be other issues after that one, and if so, I would say that you’re not ready for what could happen.

You would be best served to stick to the engine version they use.

Have you tested that .NET version 4.6.0 or higher is installed and functioning correctly?

(FYI the issue is most likely not with UE 4.25.0 as that’s the version I’m using)

This suggests you didn’t use these options when installing VS Community

This will install all the needed dependencies needed for Unreal including the 4.6 SDK. As an example this is what I get checking Unreal (just showing the .NET stuff)

I wouldn’t tick the UE4 installer when you already have it installed.

It’s not going to mess up the installation.

Oh ok.

Thanks for the help so far guys! Unfortunately, I’m working on a school computer, so I’ll have to contact an admin to get them to perform all of the necessary installations for .NET. Will do so and let you know if the issue is fixed!

Aaaand it worked! Marked the solution. Thanks for the help you guys!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms