Yellow Handle for Bevel when clicking tool icon

If I click the Bevel Tool Icon, I get the Yellow Dot/Handle (not sure the Blender term for the dot). If I try to use the Yellow Dot, nothing happens. If I hit V while moving the dot, it bevels (functioning the same as the shortcut CTRL-B).

If I move the dot outwards, release left click, then I get the Bevel Redo Menu. If I then click, Vertices (Edges is the default), then the proper Bevel, snaps into place based on how far I moved the dot (without any preview). I can modify the created bevel by changing the width value, but if I grab the yellow dot again it will now create a second bevel in the same location (rather than adjusting the bevel I just created). I assume this is the intent.

My main question (in addition to the proper term for the yellow dot) is, once I’ve gotten the bevel redo panel opened, is there any way to have it keep using the vertices (or other) selections you make without having to keep hitting V each time? This would be much quicker if you need to do several similar operations (like our example) as you’d only need to make your option selections on the first bevel, and then each subsequent bevel operation, you would just click and then drag the yellow dot.

Thanks

1 Like

By what I can tell pressing V while bevelling switches between edge and vertex mode so pressing it shouldn’t work the same as Ctrl+B. It’s a different bevel mode.

I cannot replicate the issue where you’re not getting the preview on standard bevelling. For all intents and purposes, the bevel tool works exactly the same as the shortcut for me, even adding more segments with the scroll wheel works.

I’d be interested to see a clip or a gif of what the issue looks like.

I think the “dot” is qualified as a gizmo in Blender but I couldn’t really find anything definitive. I don’t think people usually ponder on what it’s called. I would probably call it a handle.

If you want to repeat any operation in Blender using the exact same settings as before you can do it by pressing Shift+R. So you could make your bevel, then select another set of edges and do Shift+R to get the same bevel on them.

If you’re asking to extend the existing bevel by selecting adjacent edges then that isn’t possible using the bevel tool since the moment you let go of the gizmo or press LMB when using Ctrl+B new geometry is created and the changes are committed, though Blender is nice enough to give you some adjustment options until you click off.

You can do this however by using a bevel modifier in conjunction with vertex groups or bevel weights.

Also, don’t be stubborn and use the shortcuts :upside_down_face:, it will streamline your workflow.

2 Likes

General Q&A note

Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left-hand side.
On that menu dropdown is ‘save screenshot’.

1 Like

OK I think the relevant part here is ‘if I move the dot outwards’.
No inwards does nothing, to ‘pull’ out a bevel you pull the dot outwards.
(The pop up bevel box appears on release either way, for me.)

Them pressing V does as expected, vertex beveling.

The pop up is not a ‘re’ do but the panel that will alter the bevel you are making, particularly useful if you want to input particular numbers.
This pop up ONLY appears on the first doing of an action, it can not ever be got back to adjust things later. (bar having done absolutely nothing since it disappeared then f9 will bring it back).

To do multiple bevels the same amounts, just select them all before beveling.

To get vertex bevels is just adding V to the key press sequence.

Part of the problem for Blender users with any experience is practically no one uses those left hand toolbar routes. I have no idea if there is a name for the yellow dot! lol.

2 Likes

Thank for for the rapid and detailed responses. I’m coming from an engineering background. In AutoCAD, there are little squares or “grips” which I think might be the closest analog to those yellow dots that sometimes appear.

In ACAD, if I am drawing a series of arcs, I can select an arc radius (on the first arc) and then subsquent arc’s will use that same radius. I was hoping that the pop-out adjustment panel would allow something similar, but it does seem to be the case in Blender. It would save time, of course. Using this exercise as an example, you might want to create 15 bevels of different depths and if you could set the equivalent of V on the first use, then you would simply click on another vertex, the grip would pop up and you’d drag for your bevel, no need to hit CTRL-B then V each time.

My choice of Bevel for icon/shortcut was probably not a good one. I understand everyone will be using shortcuts for common tools like bevel rather than clicking on the tool icons. It might be more relevant in the case of a task that someone rarely does (sculpting for example if you almost never need to scuplt).

Thanks again, I will include screenshots on any subsequent questions.

CAD Sketcher is an add on to Blender that might interest you, makes more CAD ways of doing things Maker Tales on YouTube covers it.

No idea if it does the things you mention.

Though ‘regressing’ to CAD ways may not be that helpful in the long run using Blender unless you only want to do engineering like drawings would be my guess.

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense. Blender really struggles with precision workflow IMO which is something I kind of miss from AutoCAD (even though I only used it briefly). I was gonna suggest you use the CAD add-on but NP5 already brought it up for you. :+1:

There are ways to achieve what you want in base Blender but it is somewhat roundabout.
Also HardOps/BoxCutter are another pair of add-ons that might interest you. They focus heavily on hard surface modeling and have a non-destructive workflow as well. They’re not free but I also wouldn’t classify them as particularly expensive.

2 Likes

Thanks again, to everyone. I have been trying other add-on’s. Given what I pay Autodesk, Adobe, Microsoft and other companies every year for work licensing, I’m happy to pay for Blender add-on’s. I’m really impressed with the quality (and value) of what I’ve found so far.

I’m not using Blender for work which may be part of the reason that I’m having so much fun with it.

3 Likes

On youtube there are specific “hard-surface” tutorials. With people who are using parameters to cut, add items. And not so much using the mouse UI. Blender has a different background in the 3D world, besides CAD.

And yes, Blender is a high-quality product, but difficult to master in all its aspects.

Have fun!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms