Would this kind of UVs be okay for games (Unity, concretely)?

Hello, here’s a screenshot of how the texture looks in a close-up, and the UVs, from this video lesson:

UVs:

Texture close-up:

Would overlapping islands like this be okay for a exported model to be used in a game engine like Unity for example?

*I’ve done it that way because my setup is using a seamless texture, and positioned them to get rid of the visual seam using that. I also thought about just scaling them down and putting them on top of it, instead of overlapping.

Thank you in advance! :smiley:

1 Like

UV faces can overlap as you found to meet those matching up issues.
Game engines have their own system but I suspect work the same basic way.
However, most seem to use baked textures if the Character course is anything to go by. Getting all of a set of something onto one map rather than each having several that may only be needed for small parts of the item. These multi texture maps can also be made so the prominent parts get more of the image space than the minor parts.
For example, over half of your image map is wasted but all needs to be loaded. A game would (as I understand it) use that space for the door and the handle’s different images. That way only one may need to be loaded into the game engine, not two or three.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer! I’ll be marking it as the solution :smiley:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms