Working on two different machines

Hello

I’m after this lecture, and i’m little bit afraid going on because i do this course on two mahines at once, on my laptop, and on my pc. I have all unity projects stored on OneDrive cloud, so i can acces them easy on both mahines, and here is my question, will resource tree work the same when i install it on my second pc? Now i installed it on laptop, but later i think ill have to do it on my pc aswell to work? I’m confused :confused:

HI Kacper,

I would suggest testing this process first with a project which doesn’t really matter, e.g. just create a new fairly empty project, perhaps drop a cube in it on your laptop, commit all the changes, then when you get to work, set yourself up and open the project, drop a sphere in. See what happens and check things are as you would expect when you use the laptop at home again.

If you are using OneDrive, I’m assuming this maps to a specific folder on your laptop/computer in order to work and then synchonising changes between those folders across multiple machines. If you are using this as a working directory I suspect it is possible you may encounter some issues but again, testing is key.

If you are using Source Tree, for committing changes, then you don’t really need to have the secondary synchronising service as part of your solution, all you need to do is pull the content from the Git Repository (at work) to a directory on your computer, work on the project, commit the changes back. When you return home and use your laptop, your working copy there would then be out of date, so you’d need to pull from the remote repository again in order to have the same version before working.

It’s possible that having OneCloud in between, may help with that, e.g. you are effectively working on the same set of files but it would also depend on how Source Tree sees any changes at the other end (e.g. on your laptop after making changes at work, or vice-versa_. I would strongly recommend testing with a project that doesn’t matter before trying it on something more significant you are working with.

Privacy & Terms