Workflow while emulating 3 mouse button?

When you are painting the first rock, does it make sense to join all the rocks into one object again so you dont have to switch between all the rock objects?
With my tablet I use the “Emulate 3 Button Mouse” so i can move the camera while holding the Alt-Key therefore the Alt + Q command to switch between objects doesnt work anymore.

2 Likes

It should still work. You put mouse cursor over the object then hold alt down while pressing q. Other than moving the cursor over the object to switch to, The mouse/trackpad doesn’t matter. You might have change the keymap or enabled an addon that also uses the alt+q. Go to keymap section of preference(Thru edit menu or press F4). In search box type “Transfer Mode” without the quotes. You should have only 1 entry in the list below. make sure the key that is mapped to it is the alt q. This is located in the box to the right of where it says transfer mode. If it is mapped correctly then click the x in the search box to clear it and click key bind button then type “alt q” without quotes. Ignore all the ctrl alt and shift alt. There should only be 1 alt q under object non-modal.

2 Likes

Is that camera movement worth the trouble of the Emulate 3 button mouse?

1 Like

@NP5 Orbiting is used quite a lot. Yes you can use the navigation gizmo, but it is quicker and easier in my opinion to use the mouse.

1 Like

I dont have the middle mouse button on my pen. So with emulation mode i can just hold down Alt and when i then “paint”, i orbit with the camera. With shift + alt + “paint” i pan and ctrl + alt + “paint” i zoom.
Though i just found out i can remap my tablet pen keys, so i haave a solution now.

2 Likes

Great I had the feeling the pen buttons were user assignable. I have a tablet (non screen) but never use it just feels horrid compared to a mouse to me.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. It was all as you described though i couldnt get it to work. I guess the alt key was reserved for my middle mouse button so shortcuts with alt didnt work properly. I solved it now by remapping my tablet pen keys so i actually have a middle mouse button.

2 Likes

But youre missing out on the pen pressure then, dont you? It may be worth it after the initial adjustment period :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, but I do not find it any use. Probably as I have never been a 2D painter or drawer. Pencil pressure just never been any usable aspect of it for me. Rather control the power by the slider/number.

1 Like

If you’re using a Pen/Tablet the navigation gizmo is great for that. To orbit put cursor in the axis ball area. Click(Push down in most tablets) and drag to orbit. For panning you use the hand and the magnifying glass for zooming. Although some people don’t like having to move over to the gizmo in which case you already have a solution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms