Word Game?

I finished the course and was wondering how I could make a game where you spell words by selecting letter tiles. I’m not sure how I would make the program know when words are valid or not. I think I would have to link it to a dictionary or something. Does any know where I can find easy to follow instructions?

1 Like

I´ve a prototype game that does something similar, I have imported an whole grammar corrector library in .txt and saved that to my game folder, I process this at the beginning of the game execution and save it to an array of strings using the split method, then I use an foreach loop whenever I want to check if the word that player typed is correct by comparing with the array. Let me know if I can help with something.

1 Like

Is the grammar corrector library a list of dictionary words?
How do you process .text files in unity?
Thanks for the response, I didn’t think anyone else would find word game interesting! :grin: But if I can get unity accepting valid words I’d like to see if I could create a word game with tower defense elements! something unheard of as far as I know!

1 Like

The grammar corrector library that I used was just a .txt file with over hundred of thousands of words, each one in a different line. You can use anything that the c# language has to offer and make it communicate with the engine.

Word games are interesting :slight_smile: they have always been around, we are just using another technology to share them now.

I’ve done this way: I’ve declared an public variable of type TextAsset which is the class responsible for processing texts within unity interface (you could probably do it using raw c# code, but they have done this small interface to help us), and added it to a GameObject and then addressed the .txt file to it by dragging into the inspector, after that I’ve declared an array of strings and processed the .txt using the split method:

Array = myTextAsset.text.Split('\n');

The original file that I’ve downloaded with the library had some other information for each line/word that I didn’t need, I had to process that first using c# and saved it in a way that there was only the word per line, this made that simple split method enough to process it.

Privacy & Terms