Wood Chipper

Here’s my take on the Block Breaker like game from the course.
I called it Wood Chipper.
In addition to what was shown in the lecture, I added some things like a chest you can smash, more particle effects, a spinning saw blade and sounds for different types of hits.
There’s also some more control over what level you want to play.

This part of the lecture was great!
Having no previous experience with either coding or unity, it was at this point in the lecture it started to click for me.

Here’s clip of the game in action

Short GIF if video isn’t working

2 Likes

This is one of the reasons why I keep giving feedback, for some reason I’m just too good at breaking games:

lol

The “ball”, saw or whatever, was moving so fast it cut through the paddle, it froze there, not sure why this happened, but collisions behaving strange at high speed can usually be fixed fairly easy:

Read this, well, not all of it, just the Collision Detection: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-Rigidbody2D.html

The other issue I found is that the ball is way to fast and the paddle way too small, your game is hard, way too hard, also the first level background is grey, the saw is also grey, it’s hard to see it specially when it’s moving like a rocket.

Oh, I forgot, your video doesn’t work, it’s just an image,. Anyone else having that issue or its just my browser?

2 Likes

Great feedback Yee! :clap:

1 Like

Awesome job getting your game out there! Yee had some great feedback that can help improve the game and make it the best possible game out there :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you, Yee. That is great feedback indeed.

I have made some adjustments based on what you pointed out.
But the “saw getting stuck in platform” bug I’m unable to resolve. I have the Collision Detection on the saw set to Continuous, and even tried doing the same for the platform, but to no avail.
I did however decrease the saw speed, and made some minor adjustments to the polygon collider on the platform, which does seem to have made it less of an issue.

For now I’ll leave it at that, and jump on to the next part of the course :smile:

1 Like

I didn’t play the original but I really enjoyed this and got to the end so your adjustments seemed to work well for me! The visual style and sound effects were appealing and I especially liked the addition of new layers to the music theme as you advance. It would have been nice to have more than one life but that’s not a major issue. Good luck with the rest of the course.

1 Like

I’m with David_Gibbs, I didn’t play the original but playing through with your adjustments I thought it was a lot of fun. Good sound effects, good visuals, and good music.

Keep up the good work.

I played it again, amazing fixes!

Enjoy the next past of the course and don’t forget to keep showing your games!

Privacy & Terms