Witch's Brew - "Fairy Tale" Project Diary

This thread is to share my progress for my project for this week’s Collab Challenge, the topic of which is Fairy Tale. Come check it out and feel free to join in!

I’m going with a classic fairy tale witch hunched over her wicked brew inside her darkened lair. Here’s my concept sketch:

Basic Elements:

• Cauldron (with liquid)
  • Witch (Head, body, hands)
  • Paddle
  • Steam/Smoke
  • Background

And here’s my block out:

I’m planning on sculpting the head and using volumetrics for the steam/smoke. I think those two are probably what will take the most time.

8 Likes

Exciting subject, I really like this one. Recognizable (Disney Snowwhite …).

3 Likes

One of these days I will have to try this planning ahead thing! :rofl:

Looking promising though. How about a bench or wall, of ingredients background?

2 Likes

Ohhh, I’m liking that idea @NP5 I’m definitely be watching your progress on this project @Tyger2

2 Likes

I was thinking about putting something like a shelf in the background on the left, to help round out the image, but I couldn’t think of anything I really liked. Some interesting weird ingredients might be good. I’ll see if I have time at the end. Thanks for the idea!

3 Likes

Head sculpt, first pass:

6 Likes

A little more detail. I’m probably going to run out of time to get it how I was envisioning it.

5 Likes

Time is the killer, get engrossed in a detailed project and it misses the deadline. :grinning:

2 Likes

Totally. I’m trying to work on prioritizing and work flow, amongst other things. Too often I get caught up on something fun/flashy but not too necessary, and not the right next step.

Added some detail, lights, and basic textures.

5 Likes

Added more detail, some stringy hair, and a background.

The hair is pretty terrible, but she’s supposed to be real ugly so maybe it works. I also sculpted some slight detail on the robes. And there’s that trusty moon again. I’ve probably used it more than any other object from project to project. :laughing: I’ll figure out the layering later to try to make it look better.

5 Likes

End Result

This is where I’m going to have to leave it for now. There’s more I’d like to do, but time is up.

Details:

• Rendered in Eevee
  • Reused assets: night sky and moon
  • Robe texture from Textures.com
  • Other textures procedural
  • Trees made with Sapling

Thanks for stopping by. Check out the Collab and see what cool stuff the others made!

6 Likes

Privacy & Terms