WIP - “Creepy crawlies”

Siphonaptera a.k.a Flea

Not sure I will finish this one. Not trying to make it realistic. But more simplistic as needed in the end result.

Rough block model.

4 Likes

Oh that is small.

The ‘fangs’ are upside down thicker at the bottom than the top.

A a whole flea circus is expected now! :rofl:
Might actually work well in cartoony style.

1 Like

That is what I strive for.
But as usually no clue on how to get there and what I’m trying to achieve.
In my mind tiny black dots on a white paper.

Yes only a known old thing, I had no real idea what they were like but as ever now Google! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9BjN_GHIic

1 Like

Miscalculated number of cylinder faces, need to be even.
Artists must sleep somewhere …

1 Like

Rough sketch of the initial idea I had. The problem is the lighting, casting a shadow of the magnifying glass. Also, how to magnify a detail of the scene.

1 Like

Render the end scene from the magnifying glass pov. Then add that render as an image texture on the magnifying ‘glass’ on this sketch viewpoint?

I guess well sorted out glass a with correct optics etc. would work ‘properly’ but may be hard to sort out, especially in the time frame. Or google how lol.

2 Likes

That’s my aim for this week. Winged male of Lasius Niger - Ant.

Blocking out done and added some base colours. Struggling with wing material. Wish for it to be more transparent. Im using Principal mixed with transparency shader but its nothing like real one. Any ideas?

3 Likes

Great progress!
try to make the wings transparent …

This is funny, I suddenly remembered this old project.
When I saw @Mateusz ant.

5 Likes

To get rid of the shadow of the magnifying glass, just set the light being used to show the magnifying glass to “No Shadow”. Not sure if that would affect the shadows around the rest of the scene, or if you have other lights set up for that area.

I do like @NP5’s idea about rendering the scene and then using it as a texture for the magnifying glass. I haven’t checked out the video he linked to yet, so that may have even better options.

1 Like

Ive done it before, following Gabbitt tutorial “Stem punk googles” At the time I was overwhelmed by this even happening, but now? Yeah, possible.

. If you simply create magnifying glass shape glass and assign glass material it should work as such. more or less. Shadow? Turn shadow off on the source behind the glass and put area light on front of scene it self just for shadows?

3 Likes
  • Refraction isn’t strong
  • Switched off the lamp casting a shadow, but still visible through the magnifying glass. Looks like a Eevee bug.

Eevee

Cycles

1 Like

Using a rendered bitmap. But then how to integrate it into the background.
Puzzling.

1 Like

Its gona be play of lights and agnles.
Ive tried making glass out of curiosity. I found that IoR 2.3 was making great. You can experiment with thickness and radius. Since you look directly at the glass it wont matter if its exagerated.
Or just cheat :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I decided to use Cycles because I can manage shadows better.
And the magnifying lens distortion has more possibilities.
But zooming in a factor of 100 isn’t possible.
So I designed a trick.

I use a cone as a boolean cutout for a floor piece, with the dimension of view of the looking glass.
The part of the floor view through the glass can be textured in a higher scale. Giving the impression of a high zoom factor.

3 Likes

That is very clever Sir. Nice thinking.

1 Like

Damn, looks very realistic, I wish I could do the same

2 Likes

Just follow the course!
Do all the challenges, even if you don’t like them.
It’s the learning of Blender which is important.
Practise a lot, do some project on your own.
Or follow one on YouTube. All it takes is time and persistence.
Show your work here to get some feedback.
Ask for help.

And above all, have fun!

2 Likes

Just showing off my progress. Baked normal maps and cavity maps. Hand painted Diffuse and Transmission map. Now time for wings. Hate the look of them now.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms