Why won't my .blend file import into Unity?

I had an issue with my download of Unity because I didn’t have enough space on my hard drive. I loaded it into an external drive and it seems to run fine except I cannot find the asset folder. So I imported the .blend file from my project folder and that worked but it wont display in the scene.

I get this warning dialog:

! Can’t calculate tangents, because mesh ‘pin_outline’ doesn’t contain normals.

…and the pin won’t display.

Any advice will much appreciated.

Thank you.

What version of unity and blender are you using?

So, here we are a year later after this question was asked… I’m having the exact same problem with unity… I modeled the pin, saved it as a .blend in my project folder for unity and it imports everything but when I drop it in the game I get a plain black outline with the " Can’t calculate tangents, because mesh ‘pin_outline’ doesn’t contain normals." error…

Have you sorted out this issue?

An actual year later! :smile:

Dunno anything about Unity and I’m not about to start now. It’s a project I’m leaving until I’m familiar with Blender in about a year or two, BUT I had the same issue - “Cant calculate tangets… doesnt contain normals”
Before I proceed- don’t forget to apply your Transforms and sort out your Normals before exporting/saving to the Unity Assets folder. This might even resolve the issue without having to resort to the “solution” below.

Since it seemed like an importing issue, I resolved it by exporting the file as a .fbx, then on the right-hand side of Unity in the “Inspector” window/widget, under “Normals & Tangents”, I played around with the settings and it imported correctly once I changed the dropdown item next to “Tangents” to “Import” (same as in “Normals” above it).

*Sadly, this means I won’t be able to do “live editing” between Blender and Unity, I suppose - unless I can permanently change this setting elsewhere.

I dunno how this will affect anything in Unity since before today I haven’t even opened Unity- let alone changed any settings, but for now it resolved the issue.

Anyone familiar with Unity who can maybe weigh in if this is detrimental in any way?

• EDIT: I see that I am indeed able to use the “live editing” between Blender and Unity. All you need to is to highlight the object in the “Assets” window in Unity, go to the “Inspector” window/widget on the right and change the dropdown item next to “Tangents”, to “Calculate Legacy”.
    Voila!
1 Like

Privacy & Terms