Why the instructor doesn't show how to set up the VR Headset for dev?

I am really surprised with the assumption that people will figure out on their own how to set up and connect the headset especially that there are multiple parts.

I ,for instance, have everything set, my Unity detects the headset but when I hit play, the app doesn’t get mirrored on the headset. No idea how to go around it despite my 2 hours of research.

Another question, why did the instructor chose to work with Oculus package in the OpenXR plug in and not the Open XR itself, provided that it is cross platform while Oculus only work for Meta headsets? I think this should have been mentioned earlier or at least explained.

2 Likes

I figured out the first part on my own, you need to go through a few steps in the Quest Link software to allow unknown sourced apps to run.

2 Likes

Hi, did you managed to connect it? cuz i haven’t figured yet

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Id recommend a simple search on Google, YouTube, chatgpt, because of the simplicity of the task, i found a tutorial, not sure if it will work for the intended device you want to use, but:

Hi, sorry I missed this.

There’s not much to set up really. It is the same as using your headset with steam and given you have your headset and a suitable PC, it is reasonable to assume you have the VR headset tethered to your PC already. This is the only need.

So, you have the meta app installed, and either you use a wire or wireless connection to a PC so it is paired. That’s pretty much all that is needed.

Besides, it is difficult to show the physical setup of this.

I personally use a 5m usb a to usb c cable and it works nicely.

1 Like

Hello Tomas,

Yes i figured it out, and can’t help but to feel annoyed by how even the TA is making wrong assumptions here. The fact that someone has a VR headset, doesn’t translate automatically to them knowing how set it for development. And NO, it is not a simple task. I personally stopped taking this course because it doesn’t even come close to GameDev other courses standards, this was really poorly made and managed course by every mean.

Here are the steps for you to set your Quest device.:

1- You can’t turn on the Developer Mode from the headset (unlike most other devices), you need to create a developer account on Meta (using your Facebook account), then use this account to log in to the Quest app on your phone or on your PC Oculus application. Also, you will need to create an organization on your developer account.
2- Then from the app, you need to first pair the device (please use USB-C or connect it to USB3 ) to link your device. If you use Airlink, you will later have problems with Unity not finding your headset.
3- Once it is linked, you need to activate the developer mode from the “Device” tab on on the left side of the PC app.
4- The most important step is to set your device for Open XR runtime. You will find this on the Quest app > Device> settings as well. If you miss this step, you will not be able to run your app on the headset.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

This respond is not helpful at all. Please don’t feel the need to respond, as I have figured this on my own already.

Based on the instructions you just gave, it still seems like a pretty simple task(compared to other devices such as mobile which is probably harder to pair IMO with the apps and all the setting configurations). That being said, I believe the instructions you provided will be very helpful to others going through this course. If you ever need another virtual reality course, Unity themselves have created one on the Unity pathways, I do suggest to give gamedev tv a chance though because sometimes I find struggles with the courses, but once I finish, I find it was worth it all along.

Good luck with your gamedev journey!

Thanks a lot, sorted!

Privacy & Terms