Why not use Visual Studio?

Hi, I wanted to point something out: VS Code doesn’t suggest as many things as Visual Studio does!
I can see that both in my case and in Rick’s recording - there are no suggestions i.e. you type in “Input.Get”… and there’s nothing, VS Code stays absolutely shush about what you might want to be doing here. Visual Studio doesn’t, in fact, it’s very intelligent and suggests things that might be just what you need when you don’t even know that yet!

I don’t think there’s any particular course that is tied to an IDE, so feel free to use the one of your preference.

I’m not sure why the instructors swap to VS Code, I suppose because of its simple interface and small size, making it a little more beginner friendly at first glance, but that does come with the price you mentioned, Intellisense is hard to configure, even more so on Mac computers.

The instructors use VSCode because it’s free and available on multiple platforms. I think nowadays Visual Studio Community Edition is free and available on multiple platforms but I do recall Rick mentioning in one of the courses that that was the reason they were using VSCode.

Probably because you can only use Community up to a certain amount of income per year,
kinda like how Unity works. Code is 100% free.

I also see more and more people recommend Godot for 2d games,
because its similar to Unity, and also 100% free.
That is only a problem if you earn over 100k a year tho.

I read Rider is even more amazing for Unity than VS Community, i have not tested it myself yet.

I read Rider is even more amazing for Unity than VS Community, i have not tested it myself yet.

Me neither but if that’s true, I’ll look it up if my income starts rising haha

Visual Studio Code does have intellisense but you have to install those extensions

Privacy & Terms