Why not try Rider as IDE?

I’ve actually tried Rider as a C++ IDE for Unreal and I will probably never go back. Refactoring has so much options snf id context aware, intellisense just works and is so much faster, GIT integration just works and actually shows commits and history that you can review side by side.

2 Likes

My guess would be because Rider isn’t free. I’m not sure if Rider for Unreal Engine is going to have a community edition, it isn’t even cross-platform and in pre-release at this stage. It’s an awesome IDE, as are all of the JetBrains products.

Good point. It’s Public Preview right now. However joining the preview and testing it is free for the time beeing.

@marozet - Nice to see another user of Rider for Unreal Engine (R4UE <- my acronym). I’ve started using R4UE as well about a week ago.

• I’m new to coding but have experimented with both VS Code and (R4UE). I’m sticking with R4UE at this point.

• For now R4UE is free, albeit not cross-platform. It is also very easy to install and add as your Source Editor. The process is the same as any other in the Unreal Editor.

• Intellisense just works with R4UE. I can’t say that for VS Code in my experiences specifically with the GameDev.tv/Udemy Unreal Course.

—Removed my wordy version. Unnecessary.

1 Like

I’ve been using IDEA professionally for years and I use Rider with Unity. When R4UE came out, it was a natural thing for me to pick up. In my opinion, the product is worth its cost. And I tend to believe that a carpenter should own his/her own tools, so I’ve maintained my yearly “Ultimate” license to take advantage of all their products. Yes, I freely admit I’m a fanboy of JetBrains.

1 Like

I think it has already been said. I would love to use Rider but lack of free and Mac version means we will be sticking to VSCode onscreen for now.

@sampattuzzi Thanks for the reply. No pressure either way. I think it’s good to have options, and from what I’ve seen, I can switch between the two (or more) if/when needed. Totally understandable with regards to sticking with what’s free and currently working.

Thanks again!

I’m trying out CLion on Windows and Mac given that I already have an IntelliJ license and wanted to try something with more horsepower than VSCode, but not step into the VS world (no other reason to go that way for me).

I’ve signed up for the Rider beta but haven’t heard back quite yet. Do you get access to rider without “applying” if you have the “full products” license? That’ll get me CLion anyway, which I’m considering if that goes well (and after figuring out how to slim down the CMakeLists.txt file to keep builds under a minute…).

@newtmitch - I registered through https://www.jetbrains.com/rider/unreal/ and then immediately after received an email (with link to the Rider for Unreal Engine build and a link to my account to activate it). I got the impression that the email was send automatically just after submitting the form. I don’t remember exactly but I don’t think it went to my spam folder either.
I did it a few days ago. Maybe they changed something or it is a temporary glitch.

Thanks. I might have gotten the email as well but I never saw it. I did see it showed up in my “products list” in my Jetbrains account after requesting access, though, so it must have automatically activated for me. Regardless, I upgraded my personal account to “all products” so I have access to Rider for Unity as well, CLion, and all the rest. I am using Rider for Unreal right now and find it quite a bit nicer than what I had before. I might try out Resharper with VS at some point, but for now Rider is doing great for me.

Usually, Jetbrains products are very good IDEs
I’ve tested Rider For UE4. It seems very good, BUT, there is no other version than Windows until now.
Mac and Linux versions are planed, but not yet released.
Note that testing the current preview version will give you access to a 1 year free license for that product

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms