Why Medieval house is considered as game asset ready?

Hi everyone,

Why this medieval house can be used as a game asset ready ?

I was working on the following parts of my medieval house, until I’m wondering if this modular house is REALLY game asset ready. Grant seams to present his course like this (and it’s totally acceptable). But in the case, we need to build an entire world, I’m still increasingly dubitative with the process of building these modular assets.

We did a lot without thinking about interpenetrated meshes. Then, all modular parts aren’t composed as a one single objects. (Like, one wall = BeamA_Object + BeamB_Object + Plane + …). There are also a bunch of climping effects and interpenetrations when we’re building the roof part, for instance.

Window_B

Window_B_Hierarchy

During my studies (excluded GameDev.tev courses), all my professors teach me to delete faces from an object, those are overlapping with a face from another objects, and invisible for the player, to weld also parts from an object with the same material, to create a cut through an object if there is a separation (like for a bottle, it’s cap will be cut in another object from the body part).

I understand this is not a highpoly model. So it’s maybe enough lighter to be increment like this in a game. Grant would certainly teach some basics for blenders beginners to create modular assets.
But in the case we have to build a gigantic environment, considered we need to build high detailed models and place it many times in our scene, I think this tecnic will be not really optimised for type of things.

1 Like

“Game ready” depends on many things! Every 3D model can be used in a game! But depending on the game type more 3D-related issues will get significant.

For example a shooter game with 60 frames per second, needs to be optimized. Like the game engine can handle, let us say 1.000.000 tris in 60fps. So the total tris of models in the viewer must be lower than this number. The need for optimizing the rendered scene. Using all kinds of tricks.

Intersecting faces isn’t a problem for any engine. But it cost extra computer ticks, to render them, or filter them out. It’s better to do that during the design process. Rendering shadows, cost CPU ticks, why not bake them in the image textures used.
A village cottage, far away. Can just be an image, or a very low poly model. But walking in front of the cottage, you need a high poly model. More data loading of the mesh model, and images. Still keeping the 60fps …

So what is game ready? I think if you can use it in your game without troubling the performance with enough details and visual eye candy.
Most objects you will make in this course, are game ready because they are simplified in design and usage. And if you find this an important topic for your 3D development skill. Then switch over to Eevee, and learn how to optimize Eevee to generate realistic scenes.
The skills you need with Eevee are the same as for game development and optimization.

FedPete covers it well, It is modular, constantly repeating the same parts, linked duplicates, which lowers load on rendering. It is probably mainly aimed at do it youself very small game uses not professional top level games where maximum optimisation to cram in ever more is needed. The range of game use is wide. The engines also move on and get better.

Or put it another way, if the game world were filled with non modular assets and every one was different each with it’s own specific set of textures, would it be better or worse for the game engine?

To be a fraction more controversial, it is game ready as it is rubbish quality! Lacks verts and is largely faked (baked) effects. In comparison to a proper Blender model done for high quality images for art or commercials, architectural visualisation, etc. Or even models for 3D printing that want high poly real geometry details and shape.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms