Why low poly?

hey ppl :slight_smile:

I was wondering–if any of you where wondering–why we created a the high poly version of the pawn’s base (recall: using the bevel tool and the ref image) in the first place, only to then bridge edge loops in order to make it low poly?

I understand that low poly will render better, but the whole time while watching the pawn being made I was already thinking that there was too much geometry.

What are your guys’ thoughts? Is it better to make it high poly and scale it back? Or would it have went differently if we approached the model by making it low poly in the beginning?

Hello!
Pipeline depends on the purpose and sometimes on the hardware)
For game model: you must avoid excessive geometry
Here again depends on what the model is designed: for deform, static mesh or animation
Organics are easier to sculpt and make a retop -> low poly -> uv -> bake -> texturing … lighting -> composining)
Hard surface again depends on the purpose))
For render: many things you can skip. But on hi poly scenes all this lets you know, in section 7 it is especially felt.

In this case now: I would first make high poly, based on low poly (or vice versa), in any case eventually would bake a normal map with high poly at low poly.

1 Like

Jakarta, I had the same question, cause i tried to be more creative than just do a simple pawn. So now my question is, my kind of Low Poly Pawn would be a problem for some point that you said? if the answer is “yes” for something you said: why?

Hi, Vic.maz, creativity is always good, if you like low poly style - this is also good.
At this stage with your pawn, it’s almost impossible to do anything except to leave low poly.
I do not like to show off, but go for work …
https://community.gamedev.tv/t/section-1-p12-extra-some-poly-invasion/30221/93
first low poly (they have their own charm), almost at the end of the treasure chest - there is used a full pipeline, but it shows that it is possible to make a very high quality asset from very simple model.

And I like creativity in low poly)
I hope I could at least help a little, with experience it will be easier to deal with this kind of details

1 Like

the link is not working

Fixed :sweat_smile:

this topic

1 Like

thanks i get it now. it just depends on how your models are going to b used later like if they are for a game versus if they are just a still image.

1 Like

i’ll do it both ways for practice tho

1 Like

Privacy & Terms