Why is the ground moving up when multiplying with noise?

Hello There!
I struggle to understand why the plane (or forest ground in this example) is moving up when multiplying it with a noise map. Shouldn’t the average vertical shifts in a noise map be close to zero over all points?

The idea is to create a bumpy forest floor using a noise map.

Nodes (ignore the muted set position)

Without the noise the ground is at z = 0.

With the noise map enabled, the ground is moved up by 0.8.

What do I miss?

Cheers,
Ray

2 Likes

Maybe:
Noise is a factor between 0 and 1.
But its average is 0.5

Argh - figure it out.

I read the description of the Noise texture node.

This explains it.

With Normalize enabled, the average isn’t around zero anymore, but at 0.5.

Works now :smiley:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/4.1/render/shader_nodes/textures/noise.html#bpy-types-shadernodetexnoise

Cheers,
Ray

3 Likes

See below. My original thinking was correct. The Normalize option creates that shift.

2 Likes

This seems a little misleading, because when you disable “Normalize” it doesn’t make the range of the output of the node -1.0 to 1.0. For this purpose it shouldn’t make a difference; It should still average to 0, but I think it’s adding -1.0 to 1.0 values together, thus multiplying the maximum value that could be output by the number of levels of detail.

I Thought I’d say something just in case it causes some confusion later on.
The fact that it’s in the blender documentation bothers me, so I made an issue report on it.

2 Likes

Interesting.

I rebuilt the part of the course using a simple plane. And set the multiplier to 1.

Without normalization, values range from negative to positive. And can exceed -1 or 1, as you mentioned. See item 5. But majority stays in the mentioned range.

With normalization, values stay between zero and one. Values around zero are now closer to 0.5. Compare the value for item 2.

Or in this example >>> See items 1 & 5. They are close to negative one and positive one.

With Normalize enabled, they have a similar distance from 0.5. What I expected.

Anyhow, the shift of the plane along the z axis is caused by Normalize.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms