Why is my normal map not turning out right?

I am following Grant’s course on modelling an environment and got stuck on the lecture “Baking a normal map”

So what he and I did was:
1 Make a low res wood plank
2 Make a high res wood plank
3 Bake high res to low res wood plank
For some reason the normal map is turning out in the wrong way on the project I am using to follow the course with(Building the house and all the models). But Its turning out as it should be when I created a new project and did the same thing. Here is what is happening on the project I am using to follow him and building everything: Bad while it turns out fine in another project I made creating the beams from scratch again Good

For some reason the normal map on [Bad] is creating yellow marks around the low res object and its normal map is also more dark blue for some reason.

Help needed…

Edit:

I fixed it. You had to change the Image Texture to non color. I think Grant’s said that you didnt have to change the before, but I could be wrong.

So its fixed.

1 Like

Edit:

I fixed it. You had to change the Image Texture to non color. I think Grant’s said that you didnt have to change the before, but I could be wrong.

So its fixed.

2 Likes

Does not matter so far as I know when making the map as it is a factor only when displaying it, the node is only holding the blank image and receiving baking information when baking.

It does surprise me a bit that Blender by now can not read that it is a normal map, and auto choose non colour. So this changing nodes setting colour or non colour is less required.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms