Why install both visual studio and vscode?

Hi everyone, I’m only around half way through the course, but I still don’t get why do we have to install both visual studio and vscode?

I understand that vscode doesn’t have a c++ compiler or something like that? But visual studio does. So I guess we can’t use vscode alone, but can’t we just use visual studio and forget about vscode?

I just don’t see the point of installing both of them and only use one. Sorry if something very basic went over my head.

Vscode is cross platform and light weight. But you can use studio as well. I actually don’t think you have to install studio if yiubahve the libraries but I could be wrong.

vscode is easy to learn as well.

VS Code is cross platform but Visual Studio isn’t, it’s Windows only (there’s “Visual Studio for mac” but confusingly, that’s not the same thing). So in order for everyone to get the same experience VS Code is used.

Previously in a prior version of the course, before VS Code existed, lectures were recorded on Windows using Visual Studio and it caused a bad experience for some where features not present in editors on macOS/Linux were used.

If you’re comfortable using VS and ditching VS Code, by all means do so.

Thanks Dan,

I thought at first that they both compliment each other and we need them both for some reason. So if I decide to use VS code, can I safely uninstall Visual Studio since it’s quite heavy?

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms