Why does the inspector not update

It takes for ever for the godot inspector to show any new exported fields. Is there anything I can do to make it do this, so I do not need to wait forever!

If you build the game, it should force an update of the inspector. Failing that, running and closing the game will definitely do this unless there’s something very weird going on with your IDE. Good luck!

Yes, I know it was said near the start of this course to hit the build button to make it update. It is very hit and miss. Some times instant but mostly not happening at all. Running the game only shows where the unassigned variable is, it has the same effect as building the game. I have found the only sure way to make it happen almost straight away, is to close the editor and reopen it. Which is rather pathetic!

I agree! And I’m genuinely surprised it’s having this much difficulty propagating the changes for you.

I did a bit of digging and it seems this is a longer-standing and more oddly-specific problem than I realized. According to this (which is comparatively a much newer topic on the issue), it looks like re-selecting the node in the scene tree, changing to another open scene and changing back, or closing/re-opening the scene might also be necessary. I could see that being the case, as the second and sometimes third of those three is usually what I have to do to get a GDScript toolscript to update properly.

Will try closing / re-opening the scene next time. Already tried selecting other objects, Didn’t work!

At least it’s not as bad as Unity taking over a minute to do Reloading Domain. And it does it twice from making a minor script edit, to running the game to test what your edit did!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms