Why does Rick enable on carve only stationary?

Hi I’m using unity 2021.3 lts so I don’t know if this is because I’m using a much newer version of unity compared to Rick. But when I’ve unchecked the carve only stationary in the navmesh obstacle settings the nav mesh area that is being blocked updates in real-time dynamically as I move the crate.

If I check this setting it doesn’t and it takes about 1 second for it to update which causes the player to respond far slower. So why does Rick has this setting checked?

It should be the opposite, depending on what’s going on. For things like doors or physics responses, Carve Only Stationary is generally the correct choice. The navmesh isn’t updated in real time, but collision avoidance should kick in. For things that are constanly in motion, Carve only stationary wouldn’t perform as well as when it’s unchecked.

Thanks for the response but I’m defintely experiencing the opposite of what you’re saying in both how the player collider moves and watching the navigation for the crate.

I’ve just checked the unity docs:

This is what it says for Carve only stationary " When enabled, the obstacle is carved only when it is stationary. See Logic for moving Nav Mesh Obstacles, below, to learn more."

My interpretation of that is, that it’s better to uncheck it if the obstacle is continuously moving/being moved.

Only carve when the Nav Mesh Obstacle is stationary

This is the default behavior. To enable it, tick the Nav Mesh Obstacle component’s Carve Only Stationary checkbox. In this mode, when the Nav Mesh Obstacle moves, the carved hole is removed. When the Nav Mesh Obstacle has stopped moving and has been stationary for more than the time set by Carving Time To Stationary , it is treated as stationary and the carved hole is updated again. While the Nav Mesh Obstacle is moving, the Nav Mesh Agents avoid it using collision avoidance, but don’t plan paths around it.

Carve Only Stationary is generally the best choice in terms of performance, and is a good match when the GameObject
associated with the Nav Mesh Obstacle is controlled by physics.

I guess the question is is the crate moving a one time thing like opening a door, or is the crate constantly moving?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms