Why does my terrain look so different? Argon Assualt

Hello, I am new to Unity and I am currently working on argon assault. I’ve noticed big differences in the colors of different things, but I didn’t think much of it. I imported the terrain pack linked with the class and followed exactly how the instructor added the dirt layer, but mine looks completely different. Anyway to change this so they are comparable?

Thank you for your help.

Here is what it looks like in the game view.

Hi Franklin,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

During the past few years, Unity made a few changes to their Terrain tools. For this reason, it is unlikely that you’ll always get exactly the same result as Rick.

The goal in this section is to make a decent looking terrain, not to copy Rick’s terrain 1:1. Creating your own terrain following your own preferences is encouraged. The terrain consists of the mesh (shape), the textures and materials/shaders. The lighting also affects how the terrain looks.

In past versions of Unity, the lighting sometimes did not work immediately. That’s why Rick’s meshes sometimes look greyish/ ochre-coloured. To fix this, he should have gone to Window > Rendering > Lighting Settings. At the bottom of the Inspector, he should have clicked on “Generate Lighting”. Disabling “auto-generate lighting” also fixes certain issues with the lighting.

To be honest, I don’t see any issue in your screenshots. Your terrain looks fine to me, especially in your game window. What would you like to change and/or improve?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms