Where are all the other students of Blender?

4 Likes

We are here!
But some of us already done the course (like me) and just enjoying these forums.

7 Likes

There must be large numbers that to not engage here or elsewhere. Part of the problem also may be there are other places they are more used to, that are actually much worse to use, like Facebook group of GameDev. There is some discord thing that some use, apparently. Many, most, move on and are not seen again. Building and keeping a community going is quite hard.

2 Likes

I am here, and I may stay here, even after I find the time to complete the courses I signed up for. hahaha

3 Likes

In your communication I read that many of them have already worked through the course. What I do not understand is that in section 2, NOBODY publishes his contributions, I am the only one ?!
For me it is very important and motivating to be able to look at the work as in section 1. Pity!

2 Likes

You would be surprised by the amount of people that just do one section and then stop, actually, according to some data Iā€™ve gathered from free courses on different platforms, less than 4% of the students tend to finish what they started, it doesnā€™t matter what it is, they simply donā€™t finish, quite disturbing if you think of it.

4 Likes

Itā€™s so sad! I wish more students pushed through and really showed themselves what they are truly capable of.

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m not a member or part of GameDev.tv.
I did the course in 2016 and it took me 1 year to finish. Back then 10 chapters. The old course is still available.
With the introduction of Blender 2.80 and the new UI, some of the courses and lessons were changed to fit the new UI. Also, new subjects and forum channels where introduced. So some channels can be quite empty. But also not everybody shows their results. And not everybody will work through and the complete all the chapters. Some will skip lessons. I did al three Blender courses (the old versions) and I can agree that some lessons give more response than others. It depends strongly on the subject, difficulty and fun factor.

Post your work, there are many members here who will look for posts and give a reply using a like.
Ask a question if you need help. Be patient because we all do not live in the same time zone.

6 Likes

Also consider that many people who post their work donā€™t use the tags to assosiate their post with a specific lesson. Back when I first did the course we used to just post our work at the end of the discussion thread started by the instructor. It made for a few seriously long threads but kept the assosiated renders in an easily identified and found place. But they put an end to that when they started doing the Updated versionsā€¦

2 Likes

Oh yes, I do remember those long threads I had to scroll through, but youā€™re right, not all of the students put their posts in the correct group now, so they get lost to most viewers unless someone tells them where to post it so more folks see it.

3 Likes

The sections used to be labelled and you could find them easily. I remember section 1 being absolutely immense. I assume they are all still there if you look for them. You can see the ā€œTalkā€ section being much greater than the show section for example. Finding my way around is a bit more difficult now since they changed the format of the site.

If you try sorting by ā€œrepliesā€ in the Talk section, you should see the older posts

1 Like

I didnā€™t share my mayan pyramid because I didnā€™t think it was worth sharing, I didnā€™t do more than just the barebones of what they had me do, this was because I wanted to work on a big project (way to big of a project for being in section 2), that GLaDOS/Matrix like robot I made a while back, that one I did share. That project I definitely shouldā€™ve done later, couldā€™ve gotten it done much faster, but I think I did pretty good for an early Blender user if I do say so myself, just was in a super inefficient way.

1 Like

I myself actually still have several courses to do, Iā€™m at the very end of section 5, but am in the middle of several other projects at the moment: a Minecraft comic series involving my friends (Iā€™m doing it in 3D using freestyle, and its an interesting one, being 3D, but itā€™s working out quite well), and a ā€œtrailerā€ of sorts for a Minecraft server were doing. I do plan on getting back to the course soon though. But as for now, Iā€™m just browsing the forums. This is also why I havenā€™t been participating in the Blender Collabs lately.

Edit: Nevermind, not section 5, but the game asset pack section, still have the furry heads, and modular assets left, along with the entire Blender Creator v2.0 for Video Games Design course.

1 Like

Marvin the Mech. Just for the fun of it.

Iā€™ve done the old course as well.

6 Likes

wow this looks really good

IDK how my prototype looks but it was fun doin this

5 Likes

:wave: Hello! I am here. I am one of those that use less useful forums, such as FB, but will try to upload some work here. I am completely new to Blender and finding the character creator course quite fun!

5 Likes

Welcome, do post your work (if you wish).
It helps a lot when other students give some additional information or tips.
The course goes at a steady pace, but sometimes you need help to solve a problem in advance on the course.

Just have fun.

1 Like

Welcome to this site.

Here we have a forum event the current one is for Christmas, usually weekly though. All welcome to take part.

3 Likes

Iā€™m designing my card now! :slight_smile: :christmas_tree:

Privacy & Terms