What was your biggest take-away from this call?

Watched this call? What’s the main thing you learned, or commit to as a result?

I thought the prime number thing at 12:30 was cool. You should fit that into 1 of the videos (unless i just missed it)

I also had a bunch of thoughts while going through the video so I guess I will just share them here.

1. Some things that could be nice to add to this or another future course

a. Sine, Cosine, and tangent and how you might need to use them in a game
b. Would love to learn more about shaders (specifically in UE4) like you mentioned you were thinking about.
c. Generally using vectors and rotators. Dealing with all the weird ways you need to manipulate them and learning the specialized functions like a dot product and the like. Some examples of game dev situations where you need to use the different functions would be nice too, so when we come across a similar situation, we know that there is a function that can help us.

1. Thoughts on the platform

a. The main thing that I would change (if possible) is the skip forward and backward functionality (using the arrow keys). The keys only do something when the mouse is over the video. I often move the mouse off of the video so it is not in the way (i also have 2 monitors so i have a lot of better places to hide it) and this means if i want to rewind something i need to 1st move my mouse over the video, then hit the key then move the mouse back away. It would be nice if the keys would work anytime the page has focus (if possible). The other thing that gets me is that when the video is playing the arrow keys move me in increments of ~2 sec (which is a bit small but not too bad ( i am used to the 5 of YT), but when the video is paused it goes frame by frame, and that is maddening imo. I don’t really ever need to be that precise and it is not a great way to rewind to hear something again. If the arrow keys would always move you forward or back ~5 sec and not require the mouse to be over the video it would make the experience much better imo.
b. An undo button for the text field would be great. I accidentally deleted a huge bunch of my answer to one of the math questions when i tried to use “blur spoiler” and accidentally hit the timestamp button with everything highlighted, so the timestamp just overwrote everything. I tried to ctrl + Z, but it did nothing. I ended up just deleting my post and moving on to the next video because it was like 1-2am and i did not want to retype everything again. IDK if that is an easy thing to add but it would be a really nice thing to have. (PS i wrote this in a google doc and copied and pasted it so that i did not lose it all somehow lol)

The insight of thinking about prime numbers geometrically is really interesting and I agree that it would be nice to add into a video somewhere. I thought it already was in one of the earlier lectures but I could be mistaken. If not, I’ll think about how to slot it in there somewhere.

The current plan is to cover trigonometry in the next section, and then tackle vectors after that. Each topic will be based around games, just like the Algebra section. So you should gain an understanding of how and when you might use them.
We’ll also be covering rotation and this will even include quaternions, so you can look forward to that! :wink:

Shaders won’t be covered in this course. It’s quite a broad topic so really needs it’s own course to do it justice. However, the maths you learn in this course should give you a good footing for when you dive into shaders.

Sorry to hear that you lost one of your responses, I love reading them. Ctrl-Z works when you’re typing in the text field but you’re right, there isn’t an undo for when you select one of the options above.

Thank you for your feedback on the platform. I’ll pass it on to the team and see if it’s possible to implement some of your suggestions. I can’t promise anything, as it’s not my area. However, there’s definitely no harm in asking the question.

1 Like

Cool, that sounds great. I was not sure if there were still more videos coming to this course or not. I am happy to hear we have more exciting stuff to look forward to.

I just tried the Ctrl-Z and that is working for the normal text like you said, so that is great to know. I will just have to be more careful with the special functions.

Also to be clear, I was totally not expecting to get into shaders in this course. I was just trying to share that I would love to see that covered in a separate course. I think Ben mentioned that as a potential at some point in the video.

1 Like

I’ve reported these issues to our software providers.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms