What version control ecosystem are YOU using?

I’d love to hear what combination you’ve decided to go for as part of this lecture?

Currently I use Gitbash (yes, I’m old school - emphasis on old :slight_smile: ). I use both Github and Gitlab. Looking forward to learning to use Sourcetree.

I plan on using Sourcetree and Github for this course.

That said, from what I’ve been able to find out so far, Github limits project size to 500MB whereas Gitlab gives you 10GB per project. So for large projects I tend to use Gitlab so I don’t have to worry about running out of space.

Also, I’m hoping this course will cover how to handle LFS for large Unity assets. I’ve seen some Indy developers use Unity collab for their large project assets and Git for project source code. Their rationale for doing this is that they’ve experienced issues with Git database compression with some of their Unity assets.

At some point, I hope to learn how to use some of the devops features like CI Pipelines that Gitlab offers.

Git through Gitbash when I’m on Windows, or just plain old Git when I’m on Linux. The graphical tools are nice but Git is open-source. It will always be there for you, even if the proprietary tools disappear.

Gtg from gnome team works really well as a git GUI client, and I also have used Github, Gitlab, Codecommit and Gitea. You should check those.

I used to use sourcetree, but have switched to fork. I tried others, including gitkraken, and found a lot of them to just not work very well. Sourcetree simply refuses to log in to some gitlab repos, I’ve gone through troubleshooting with the devs and never got anywhere. I used gitkracken for a hot minute until I actually had something happen to a file and when I went to recover the file from gitlab it was corrupt and couldn’t be recovered. Luckily I had another backup of that file and moved on to Fork and have used that since.

I already had a GitHub account set up a few months ago, so just to be able to follow the course properly I’ll go with that and SourceTree and let’s see how it goes.

I used to use Gitbash on Windows, and plain old git everywhere else. Since WSL2, I use plain old git everywhere now and on windows I do all my version control on WSL2. I have a cheatsheet of commands for common actions. For complicated stuff, I use VS Code with Git Graph (mhutchie.git-graph) and Git Lens (eamodio.gitlens) extensions. I very much like to have an ecosystem that works the same everywhere.

Hi guy I’m a total noob to all this. However, I made a github account. Eons ago I saw everyone start using it around 2007 iir…never used it.

So, I’m on Ubuntu 20.04 (Linux) and I decided to use GitHub Desktop because it seems likely I will one day have to just use Git and feel like it might be a closer experience to the CLI version.

Wish me luck!

I have had experience using GitHub and some basic use of Git so I am going to use GitHub for my online system. I already have a Unity Repo as well.

Though I am also looking to possibly use this course to get a better understanding of the GitHub site and manipulating repos.

I have been wanting to clean up my repos for a while and really have everything look clean and separate as needed. I have not been able to do much as I still want to learn and I don’t want to break something accidentally.

If anyone has any additional info or tips on what I can look into for additional GitHub learning I am open to everything.

Since I am fairly new to version control software, I will be following Bens example from the course and using GitHub as my online hosting system and Sourcetree as my graphical user interface.

Privacy & Terms