What render settings would apply for Blender 2.9?

I use Blender 2.9 and the render settings shown by the instructor don’t match up to the options I have available. I tried to configure it as best as I could but the 3 layers that are rendering are only 60% done… and it’s been 3 hours so far. I have an I7 core with NVIDIA, 16 GB of ram and a SSD, so I don’t think it’s my hardware. Thanks in advance.

1 Like
  • What do you mean by ‘3 layers’?
  • Are you using Eevee or Cycles?
  • Set Cycles sample to 64, less time needed
  • It all depends on memory usage!!! Blender be used on low hardware. How about your sub-division modifiers? Level 1 or 2 would be enough.

General Q&A note

Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left-hand side.
On that menu dropdown is ‘save screenshot’.
Also, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.

By ‘3 layers’ I mean the ogre, shadows, and fire layers, as shown in the video.
I am using Cycles.
I do not have any modifiers on anything.
I’ll try using 64 as the Samples rate. Thanks.

1 Like

Ahh, you do the SFX course.
Also memory intensive.

If you use windows, you can open panels like memory and disk io.
Because you have an SSD, that it’s less notable if Blender swaps memory to disk. But still slowing down.

• Write animation as .PNG frame to disk. When Blender crashes, then you can start the rendering at a certain frame number.
    Use the Blender video tool to merge all images (and auto) as a video.

Ask if you need help.

Are you trying to render it out in one go directly to a video file? Always best to render to pngs. However video takes a long time there are a lot of frames each needing rendering. 3 hrs seems like nothing. Context, in the past I have had one single image render take 20 hrs.

No. I followed the video 100% and was exporting the frames as images (render animation). It was only 101 frames, so I guess I expected it to be done a lot quicker than that. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

I exported the frames as images (‘render animation’). It was only 101 frames, so I didn’t expect it to take so long. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms