What Linux and Compiler configuration is Mike using in Building Escape tutorial?

Hello. Using Linux Mint i was able to compile UE4 from source and run it successfully. But, it was not behaving as well as the setup that Mike is using in the Building Escape tutorial. I was wondering what exactly is being utilized. Ubuntu, Mint, some other? Also, what compiler is being used and is there a quick tutorial on properly configuring the compiler to link properly with UE4. I understand VS Code is being used, and that is no problem. My main problem was getting the compiler linked properly so i could just press Build in UE4 and have it work the same way it works for me in Windows.

Thank you

Fellow Linux user here.

I started using Unreal on my Fedora install but also had problems.

Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) is the supported distro.
My Unreal and VS Code is working great under Ubuntu, even on 8+ year old hardware.

As for compiler settings,
I followed basic setup instructions from linuxize.com
ie- adding the repos, etc…
The only info on compiler settings from these tutorials was to fix that “slow compile time” bug.

On a side note, have you ever gotten Intellisense working?
Looking around, it seems to be a common issue.
Even the lecturers mention it.

I’m in the last few lectures of Building Escape and the lecturers are depending on Intellisense quite heavily.
As in, not as a simple auto-complete, but to determine which functions are suitable where… how to work out what is needed for various function… etc…

Hope this helps.

These are the the VS Code compiler settings that have been working fine.

{
    "configurations": [
{
            "name": "Linux",
            "includePath": [
                "/usr/include",
                "/usr/local/include",
                "/usr/include/c++/7.2.0",
                "/usr/include/c++/7.2.0/backward",
                "/usr/include/c++/7.2.0/bits",
                "/usr/include/linux",
                "/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu",
                "/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/c++/7.2.0",
                "${workspaceRoot}",
                "/home/chickpea/ue/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Public"
            ],
            "defines": [],
            "intelliSenseMode": "clang-x64",
            "browse": {
                "path": [
                    "/usr/include",
                    "/usr/local/include",
                    "${workspaceRoot}"
                ],
                "limitSymbolsToIncludedHeaders": true,
                "databaseFilename": ""
            },
            "compilerPath": "/usr/bin/gcc",
            "cStandard": "gnu17",
            "cppStandard": "gnu++14",
            "compileCommands": "/home/chickpea/ue/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/ThirdParty/ShaderConductor/ShaderConductor/External/DirectXShaderCompiler/tools/clang/bindings/python/tests/cindex/INPUTS/compile_commands.json"
        }
],
    "version": 4
}

Intellisense have never worked properly though.

Still stuck on that.

Thank you for the information. I can tell you that even on windows, running the full Visual Studio, i cannot really get Intellisense to function as well as it is supposed to be capable of functioning. I have spent several hours trying various solutions.

Regarding UE4 on Mint with an nVidia 1050ti, aside from the compiler configuration issue which i think your fix will take care of, i was having visual issues. For example, those ‘break-out’ messages would get hidden instead of popping to the foreground. Such as a lighting build completed message, or any of the message that are overlay messages. Some very silly things that made it unusable for me, like the inability to click on something unless i click outside of the proper selection area. I have not seen enough videos of people working with UE4 on Linux to determine if it is my particular configuration causing a problem, or perhaps the Cinnamon UI instead of Gnome, etc. I sincerely want to be fully migrated over to Linux, but I always run into one or two things that force me back to Windows. But I have not given up hope :slight_smile:
Thanks for all the information. It will be very helpful.

Rider by JetBrains (not free) has a new Unreal Version and integrates with Unreal nicely - it even tells you when BP is used by your code.

It’s still a beta version but is really nice - I switched a while back just because it is faster and better than code. Doesn’t rely on studio for intellisense and has resharper to help refactor and enforce naming etc.

Best of all it’s multi-platform - think linux is supported and I know mac is as well.

link to the trial/beta version here: Rider for Unreal Engine | JetBrains: Developer Tools for Professionals and Teams

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms