What is the logic of Scale Z 0?

Hi. I already use blender shortcut scale z + 0 to make the line aligned well on horizontal line. But, I don’t really get the logic. It’s not that kind of important, but it makes me confuse, what’s the logic behind it, why it can make the line perfectly horizontal?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Isn’t it: scale plus a factor?
Like scale 2, makes it two times bigger, RELATIVE to the ORIGIN point. So vertices below (with a negative coordinate) are still negative but increased in size.

So using 0 (zero) as a scale factor nullifies everything. This depends on you TRANSFORMATION ORIENTATION settings; Global, local, view etc …

1 Like

Ah okay… It’s because the origin point… I see… I forgot about the origin point when doing that thing. Thank you @FedPete !!

2 Likes

Yes, I understand. Mismatching with the (0,0,0) world coordinate. Which is also the origin point, when using a default object. It’s confusing in the beginning.
Be aware of this.

Have fun.

2 Likes

Thanks!! :smiley: Will keep it in mind.

1 Like

Ok, I need to be more precise on this matter (Sorry). It’s also depending on the “Transform Pivot point” settings !!

What also can help, is to select the vertices and then change the location of one ax in the transform panel manually.

2 Likes

I suppose the logic and function of it is that scaling to zero means zero movement from the chosen pivot point of the selected verts in either direction along the chosen axis. Lining them up very usefully!

2 Likes

No worries man. I understand what you mean :D. Maybe this addition is useful for other people that not understand or don’t get your message because of the technical wording there can be confusing.

Anyway, thanks :smiley:

1 Like

Do you mean zero scale? Because if it’s movement, we’re using G or move right?

Anyway, I don’t get the logic before because I forgot about “chosen pivot point”. After realize the missing key point for me to understand is that “pivot point”, I understand the logic :D.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms