What is the best software application to make simple animations?

Hi, I have started to make my own games after taking the 2D, 3D and mobile Unity game courses. My question is, what is the best software application for producing simple 2D & 3D cars, spaceships and animations? I don’t want to use pixel art, but for example the houses in the driving game and the spaceships and flashing health packages seem to simple but effective.
Please advice and thank you in advance.

For 2D, aesprite is the one of choice but you can use paint shop pro or if in your budget, photoshop.

For 3D, Blender is your free tool (fairly modest learning curve) and then you have tools like Maya and 3DS Max which are very expensive. There are other niche tools out there like I know kenney.nl has a tool for building 3D models from modules and can generate 2D from them. It’s quite limited but works for that is intended.

Other than that, for 2D not pixel art, create in 3D and render the images with the appropriate camera angle. 2D depends on sprites usually so generally low res and with a transparent background so you’ll struggle to produce effective artwork.

Privacy & Terms