What does serialization mean to you?

Not cerialization mind you!

This is the kind of information that is worth using to ship a game. It’s game-shippable info, this lecture is so important for the long-run, I can’t say thank you enough for covering this topic and can’t stress how useful it is. Thank you very much for taking a complex yet important topic and making it simple. The new series is light-years ahead of the old, though I’d hoped the point/click icons portion would’ve been covered sooner, yet this is good material.

1 Like

Mmmm rice krispie values

Hi Sam,

I am curious about the limitations of the Unity serialization system.

You briefly mentioned that the Unity system is limited, and so you went on to use the built-in C# system. I am curious to know in which ways it is limited.

Thanks.

The biggest limitation is that it is not very robust when it comes to changes in the underlying data structure. For example: If I return a float, but then later try to cast it to an int, it will fail and stop deserializing. If an item isn’t properly marked [System.Serializable] then it will fail when serializing. Included in this is that all children of the structure you wish to save must also be [System.Serializable].
For reasons beyond my comprehension, Vector3 and Quaternion are not Serializable. As you can see, however, we build a workaround for this.

If I grok this correctly the aim is to encode objects or components of objects in their current state externally to program runtime as to be accessed and manipulated or recalled by the program at a later date. Did I get the intended aim of this?

You appear to have successfully grokked the subject matter. :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms