What do game company's look for?

Does anyone know what companies look for in applicants? I’m a high school senior this year, and I need to figure out what college I should go for. My main two choices are go to a college for Computer Science, and teach myself Unreal or Unity on the side using these courses; or I can go to a college that has a dedicated game development degree like Full Sail University. The main issue with the latter is that it’s a lot more expensive I think, and I’m not guaranteed a job. I need to know if just doing the prior option is enough to get me a job with a premade company, or if the latter option really appeals that much more. Also just what qualities and skill sets companies look for people to already know, what should I already know.

2 Likes

Hi @William_Starling, How are you doing?

In my humble opinion, companies prefer computer science with portfolio (projects) because computer science teaches fundamental things and you can explore other areas of computer science. For example, @ben and @sampattuzzi, they both studied computer science. You can learn game development doing projects and courses.

2 Likes

No having worked in the industry myself I would defer to @rick on this one.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms