What computer(s) are you running?

I’m in the process of swapping components as the budget allows, but here’s what I started with in 2007:

• 300GB HDD
  • 2.66Ghz i5
  • 6 GB Ram
  • Radeon HD 5450 video card
  • all running on Windows Vista

When all is said and done I should have:

• 1 TB HDD
  • 3.3GHz Quad-core
  • 8 GB Ram
  • GeForce GTX 950
  • WIndows 10

Finally got the System where I want it.
i7 5930k @ 4.7 (custom loop)
EVGA FTW x99 motherboard
32GB DDR4 @3000mhz
Gigabyte 980ti G1
500GB SSD
1TB HDD
850w PSU (probably going to swap this out due to quality issues)
780t case.

1 Like

I’m doing everything on the road so went with a laptop.

Xidax XM-6

Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M - 2GB DDR5 VRAM
Xidax 1TB SSD

It is ok for now but later I am planning a high end laptop that will handle the Rift and offline graphics rendering for my ReMake projects. Also, it would be nice to have virtual desktops in VR.

Just had a look at the Xidax. They seem pretty expensive for what they are. Maybe I’m missing something…

You’re probably right. I found value in the fact that I can understand them on the phone and, so far, they seem to respond quickly.

I built 3 computers in the past but I found that I wasn’t saving a lot over retail. I enjoyed doing it at the time but now I would rather just give the specs, have them build it, and focus on the software side.

The laptop that I want them to build would run approx. $4,800. I might still go that direction but for now I’m fine.

1 Like

I’m using a 2013 Macbook Air and still loving it.

I am using an MSI CX61 2QC. To be honest I kinda regret getting it for 700$.

I have a late 2013 iMac i7 quad core at 3 Ghz 8 gab ram and a nvidia 775m 1gb. The 27’’ monitor is just amazing , especially the colors.

I also have a late 2010 MacBook Air but it’s too weak to handle unreal editor so I use it mostly for coding and making graphics with Blender while I am on the move.

I also bought an iPad mini 4 this year.

I’m on an old late 2011 macbook pro 13 inch. Swapped out the hd for an ssd and it’s like new.

Also upgraded to 8Gb ram.

It’s fine so far with Unity, but I know once I start doing more complex 3d with lighting etc that I’m going to have to build something better suited.

• Samsung RF711 S07UK
  • 17.3 inches
  • Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz
  • 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM
  • 1 TB HDD
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM

For me it’s

i5-4670k,
16GB DDR3
R9 290X
512GB SSD partitioned ~400GB/100GB Windows/Ubuntu
3TB HDD
2x 22" Monitors

My system is in need of an upgrade, currently I have:

• Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40 Ghz 8MB Cache Quad-core Processor - Black Edition
  • Motherboard: MSI MSI Gaming 970 Gaming AM3+/AM3
  • Memory: HyperX FURY Series 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
  • Graphics Card: Asus HD 6870 1GB DDR5
  • Main Storage: Crucial MX100 SATA SSD 256GB
  • Secondary Storage: 500GB Seagate, 1TB WD 7200 HHD drives
  • Main Monitor: ViewSonic VX2363SMHL 23"
  • Secondary Monitor: HannsG HW191D 19’’

Bought a 2TB seagate hybrid and another HyperX FURY Series 1x 8GB DDR3 1866MHz today and I’m planning on upgrading the processor, graphics card and secondary monitor soon.

Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000V2

Mouse: SteelSeries RAW Frost Blue Limited Edition

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M20X

GPU: Radeon R9 380

CPU: Intel 3570-K clocked at stock 3.75GHZ

HDD: 1x Western Digital Blue 500GB and 1x Western Digital Black 1TB

RAM: 8GB Kingston

MOBO: Intel DZ77GA-70K

PSU: Some 750 WATT

I stumbled on this thread after posting a question about computers in the Blender forum lol. I have a Surface Pro.

I am curious, if I were to really get serious about animation, what would I look for in a computer? I have made a few renders by following YouTube Blender tutorials and they take a while to load. I’m assuming an animation adds a bit to the process lol.

CPU: i5-6600k (4cores ONLY!)

MOBO: ASUS Z170-A

GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

1TB HDD

I’m saving money for upgrades at this time I’m only developing what I can do on my minimum required specification. So I would only need to make the bare minimum for an Alpha game to be use as template as I progress later on. When I have what I need I can upgrade my CPU and Motherboard to something game-developing friendlier hardware. Something as 10 or more cores on my CPU and more RAMS for 3D modelling, I don’t know how any of those parts of game-developing I’m following exactly how Bem and Sam is teaching for their UE4 courses.

Thank you for making the time developing your courses to help people like me get into game developing with UE4.

What would have the biggest impact on compile time? Switching from a HDD to an SSD, or getting more ram? I have 12gb of ram currently, and am using a 1TB HDD. I can only afford to either of these two, so please don’t suggest getting a better cpu, mine is a i5 quad core 3.0 ghz. my graphics card is a gtx 1050 ti

Well right now i own a hp omen, with the 10th gen i5, gtx 1650 with 4 gb, 8 gb memory and 256 ssd. Also i have a 2018 macbook pro, which i barely use actually.

Privacy & Terms