Well, I've done it again and I need help

My guards on being re-enabled (by the making dynamic of the navigation mesh) have gone totally berserk. Everything is fine until one of them spots me; then there are a great many errors as in:
"PIE:Error: Error Blueprint Runtime Error: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetBlackboardValueAsActor_ReturnValue from function: ‘PerformConditionCheckAI’ from node: Return Node in graph: PerformConditionCheckAI in object: IsCloseToEnemy with description: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetBlackboardValueAsActor_ReturnValue"
which appears to be impossible. The guards continue their rounds after spotting me and eventually return to normal.
Before you ask @DanM I pushed it to github at https://github.com/Raymon-H/S05_TestingGrounds.git.

One very peculiar thing I noticed after covering the code with prints, is that the only the first 4 variables of the animation preview would seem to be editable. The remaining ones are crucial to the behaviour of the AIs.

Sounds like the same error messages that come up with Sam’s project as he didn’t add an IsValid? Node . Probably won’t be able to look at your repo today as I’m having a procedure done but will definitely check it out tomorrow if I don’t get to it today.

Sorry Dan, I’ve been away for a day and a half trying to solve the attempted assassination of my building escape project. This time the culprit was UE and not SourceTree as the previous 4 attempts.

Anyway, I think that a big clue is the fact that the ‘aiming’ and ‘shooting’ variables on the animation cannot be changed. Still looking for a reason for this behaviour.

Actually just pulled your repo and compiled it, going to take a loook now.

Your Update Blackboard function in your AI controller is incorrect it should be like this

Though with mine and Sam’s the Is Valid node isn’t needed. Not sure why yours does, even adding a print on Is Not Valid doesn’t ever come up so that’s a little confusing :confused:

1 Like

Thank you Dan (I think). Your change DOES stop the errors, though I haven’t a clue why! It however didn’t stop the bahaviour problems, nor did it fix the Animation problem.
I did discover that deleting the 'Print’s that I had added DID solve the behaviour problems (though again I have no idea why).

I think my project may be cursed. But it is good enough now to proceed.

Yeah, I’m still not sure why that isValid node in the screenshot I showed is needed, adding a print node Is Not Valid, never goes off so why does the behavior break if it’s not there? :confused: Rather weird.

More head scratching.

I went ahead with the ‘convert to 4.15.1’ and added the Gun actor back into picture. Then I noticed that one of my guards (“Fred”) was invisible. Further investigation revealed that Fred was not invisible, it was just that his mesh was miles away from him. I fixed that, and a missing fire animation.

And then The Original Problem RETURNS!
Exactly the same error message, though now as a warning then followed as an error. Less frequent now (maybe synced with the shooting).

P.S. gitHub is up to date, and the isValid node is still there.

More investigation; if I add an IsValid node here:

the problem goes away – UNLESS I put in the Print String pictured, then the Print String occurs WITH the error!

That’s what I was referring to in my first reply. Same with Sam’s.

At this error. What could resolve this?

Did you add the IsValid nodes talked about in this thread?

Yes, but I still have the error on the console. Does it require checking the actor’s validity in the Shoot task?

The reason Ray_H’s error returns with Print String is because he’s connected the Print String to Return Node, which will generate an error because the blackboard key is not valid.

Privacy & Terms