Well I tried

Good(?) version

Bad version

I’m kind of jealous of my peers. You guys made some really cool work and I just drew a tree lol.

I figured that by color palette we could choose anything from the site but I think I might have chosen one with a bit too much complexity…
Anyway I took the colors and made them darker with the bad method you mentioned which was only sliding it down. Correct?

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing the examples. If I understand correctly, shifting the brightness down from this predefined palette will retain the differences in hue and saturation, so the contrast will actually remain in both images equally.

But if you take a single color and shift its hue, saturation and brightness, then the desired effect takes place like the instructor demonstrates in the video (before he downloads any predefined palettes from the lospec.com website).

The result of the instructor’s method is 4 shades of nearly the same color, with a greater contrast than there would be if only the brightness (without also hue and saturation) was adjusted from the original color to create the 4 colors.

Again, thanks for sharing the images - I appreciate your example.

2 Likes

I’m kind of jealous of my peers. You guys made some really cool work and I just drew a tree lol.

That’s totally fine. I’m not an artist, and probably never will, but like you I always wanted to make Pixel Art.
The only way to be better is with practice and it’s something I want to do by making games with Pixel Art.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms