Weird Normals - one half inverted

Hi peeps!
Just wondering if any of you have encountered this strange problem? I have checked and all my normals are correctly facing the right way before baking however when baking half my character is baked inverted.
You can best see this with the nipples…
Any ideas how to correct it? I’ve looked on youtube but can’t seem to find anyone with the same issue.
Thank so much!

1 Like

If it is baking half inverted it suggests your UVs are half inverted.
Try reunwrapping.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your suggestion and quick response, I just tried that again but am still having the same result. :frowning:

1 Like

curiously the way it is divided n it’s incorrect normals is patchwork rather than only down one side of the creature…

1 Like

What are your modifiers, are they in the correct order.

? Maybe apply mirror? on a file copy

No modifiers, I intentionally didn’t use any mirror modifier as I want to be able to create asymmetrical textures (when it works) and I went to the trouble of creating seams on each side which are identical.
I’m wondering if it has anything to do with where each piece sits on the flat UV unwrap… not sure why that would be important though.

1 Like

How does you UVmap look like?

If one nipple is in and the outher out.
You still have some mirroring? going on.
You can flip UV maps !!
Jsut scale x-1 and or scale y-1

… worked it out, NOOB fail… I didn’t create a Normal Map node before plugging it in…
it works now.
I appreciate your help though!!! Thank you!

2 Likes

Glad we could give you the push to get it done.
Blender can be frustrated sometimes.
No hint on what went wrong!
But if you get more experience and understand the basic workflow of blender, frustration get less.

Have fun, show us the results.

1 Like

I’ve been stuck in this problem for days… I guess that’s how you learn. Glad to have this resource though. Really enjoying the course. Trying to upload a screenshot but doesn’t seem to want to today.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms