Weird material behaviour

Hello. I was following the lesson but when i changed the material of the walls, something weird happen with the 2nd wall. This is a picture:

All those walls share the exact same material. But if I change the material of the 2nd wall, the other walls change in a weird way:

As you can see, the other walls also change color. There is any explanation about how this could happen?

I’ve just seen that also in the viewport it behaves weird

Check the normals directions.

I’m seeing the same thing – Normals appear to be facing the correct direction

I was able to get help in the CG Cookie discord – the fix or me (and looks like probably you, since we had the same issue it looks like) is to go to the Layout view, select the wall with the materials issue, click the "Object Data Properties tab (green triangle), scroll down and open “Geometry Data” and click “Clear Custom Split Normals”.

1 Like

Yes, that is a fairly rare option. I have had it happen to me and one or two times been the solution here. But I still have no idea how the ‘custom normals’ get split as it is not something I or I suspect others have done deliberately. There must be some random keypress involved is all I can think of.

Privacy & Terms