Weird deformation of lower arm in pose mode

Hi all,

My lower arm of the lamp shows some weird behaviour when rotating it in pose mode. When I rotate it in object mode, everything seems normal. But when I rotate it in pose mode, it gets deformed. Please refer to the attached printscreens. I checked the application of all relevant transforms, re-parented the objects to the bones, etc., without any success. Any help is welcome.

1 Like
  • Check if all parts of your lamp have scale ‘1’!
  • Check to origins of all of your object parts (but is less important)
  • Don’t change the model while bones are connected (relocation of the origin point)

Then connect the bones to the object.

Thanks for the tips. I followed your steps. But no matter what I try, the weird deformations persist (see printscreens below). I checked the scales (all 1) and the origins (all centered) and they both seem right. I also unparented and re-parented all parts to the bone structure. No success. Any other ideas what may cause the issue? Too bad we cannot upload blender files here…

1 Like

What do you think what is going wrong?
Where deforms?

Did you use “connect to bone”?

Sorry for not being clear enough. Please refer to the attached pictures (red markings). In the first picture you can see the lamp without any rotation applied. As you can see, the lower and upper arm consist of recangles with 90 degree angles. But as soon as I rotate them, the angles change, thus the shapes get “distorted”. And yes, I did connect to the bone.

1 Like

Do you use weight paint to connect object to bone?

See “vertex groups”, these must be empty !!!

Do you use constrains, do you use other modifiers?

I checked the lower and the upper arm and there don’t seem to be any vertex group. See the below printscreens.

1 Like

My lower arm doesn’t use any modifier (all of them applied several iterations before). My upper arm only uses a bevel modifier.

1 Like

My bone constraints are +/- 45 degrees on the local z-axis for both, the lower and the upper arm.

armature and bones can be intimidating.
And Blender has bugs.
Mostly because user do things in the wrong order and or switch on/off things and forget about it.

To build your confidence.
Maybe Use a new blend file. create two cubes ( duplicate the default one. )
Add a bone, extend it with a second one in edit mode.
Connect each cube to a bone.

In pose mode rotate both bones and see what happens.
Does it work as intended?

Thanks, I might try that if I don’t find another solution. One thing I noted in edit mode is that the lower and upper arm have some “roll” value which are not equal to zero. However, this roll values have been automatically assigned by extruding the bones in peripheral view. When I change the values to zero and then do the rotations, the same strange distortions occur. So, it’s probably not the issue.

1 Like

‘Roll’ is (if I remember correctly) a correction for the y-ax. It defines the direction of the X and Z ax.
Set it to 0.

The 2 Cubes test. Is simple to do as a test to see if you do the challenge in a basic way.
If everything went well, apply the same steps to the lamp.

The deformation is mostly because

• You didn’t apply scale
  • Using weight paint
  • user error - check object mesh.

You can open a new blend file and FILE > Append your object (collection) into the new file.
This way, strange options (and blender bugs) are reseted.

Well, I did the cubes test and the good news is that everything works as intended. No distortions happending. I may rebuild part of my lamp scene since I can’t figure out what’s causing the issue. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Are you confusing local coordinates and world coordinates?

Nope, always working with local coordinates. What is weight paint?

1 Like

Try not to rebuild. But import (File > Append)
Rebuild as a last resort.

See it as a additional learning curve. (I had same problems, many years ago).

With weight paint, you can give each vertic in you mesh a different influence to the behavior of a bone.
Hence deformation of a rectangle/cube.

use for character modeling (arm, shoulder). You will learn.

Point is , if you used that option and redo. The weight paint data aren’t deleted, that’s why I asked you to check this.

Privacy & Terms