Wave prefabs with timeline data changes updating to all others in scene

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. I have a enemy wave prefab saved in project, which i dragged into the scene to create a new wave. When i go into the timeline, and change values (position) over time - these changes are applied to the other prefabs already in the scene. So the new position and rotation end up being the same for all the same wave types. I am not applying the overrides of the scene wave.

example:

Thanks!

Hi Duder51,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

That’s an odd issue. May I ask how you created the other enemy waves? Do the other enemy waves happen to reference the animation track or did you duplicate the track?

Also make sure that the first keyframe contains the initial values for your animation to avoid any undesired rotations. This might not be your current problem but maybe it will be in the future.

Which version of Unity do you use?

Hi Nina,

Thank you! It has been a fun process going through the course. The first enemy wave I created had the timeline implemented before making it a prefab. Then i just dragged and dropped the new prefab into my scene. I went into the timeline of the new waves - and would update the ending keyframe to go to the position I wanted it to.

How would i know if the other enemy waves are all referencing each other?

Do you mean making sure the first keyframe has both position and rotation values? I pretty sure i did that, but will double check.

2021.3.1f1

Thanks again!

I meant the animation track. The animation overrides the Transform values. If all waves use the same animation, that could explain why all enemies/enemy waves change if you change one.

Try to unprefab one of the waves. If you fear that you might lose your work, make a backup of your project folder by duplicating it. Save the duplicated folder somewhere else, maybe on an USB stick. To save some free space, you could delete the Library and Temp folders in the backup folder. Then unprefab one of the waves and try to change a value in the animation again.

If you make changes on the prefab (Assets folder), all connected game object (in the Hierarchy) get updated. Connected game objects are blue.

Yes, that’s what I meant. Otherwise, the animation starts with the values of the first keyframe that uses a property of the game object. No initial/first keyframe often results in unexpected side-effects.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms