Waste of time to learn Unity with the long term goal of switching to Unreal?

So I’ve always wanted to learn Unreal Engine and make high fidelity games. I’ve bought my fair share of Unreal courses, and books on learning Unreal Engine 4 when I was younger. I never followed through on the books, and the courses I’ve bought I usually end up giving up on them 30%-65% through.

I’ve roughly attributed this to two things…One is that I have limited programming experience (something I’m working towards remedying through college, and programming specific courses), and Two, I think I simply lack discipline to follow things through.

Recently I started learning Unity and C# and so far it has been a bit more intuitive and easier to learn than my memory of trying to learn UE C++. But as I dive in deeper and get into more complex topics and maths behind systems in Unity, I’m beginning to wonder how well those things translate between engines. My ultimate goal is still to eventually switch back to Unreal Engine, so I’m wondering if I’m wasting my time learning Unity and if I would be better off straight up hammering my way through into Unreal Engine to get more experience with the engine as I learn rather than trying to translate concepts over from Unity when I’m at the point that I feel confident in my understanding of GameDev.

I’m not sure if this makes sense or if it sounds like a bunch of beginner’s misunderstood ramblings, but hopefully you can see where I’m coming from and provide some advice.

Hi Skoddskar,

The way i think of it is that its like learning French and English although they are different languages there are similarities in structure of the language but one is ultimately more complex with variations.
Once you know the programming patterns then its easier to transition to other engines like unreal.
Personally i struggled myself with Unreal and so remained with the C# language which opens up unity and godot for me but for others with a bit more time and perseverance unreal can be a really powerful engine to master and create awesome games.

What i am trying to say is that each individual is different and go with what is working for you, In your case i would be tempted to complete some Unity courses and then go back to unreal and see if the learning is easier then.

Hope this helps

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms