Wanting to start to make a 2D JRPG

Hi, amazing community to learn gaming dev
I just started like in mid january going at a slow pace since im in my senior year in college
I wanna get a good start on mkaing a mock 2d jrpg before going to make my own

So im doing the course Complete C# Unity Game Developer 2D and i was wondering should i do all the unity content or just do a specific one like tilevania or last defender?

also is there another course i can do to learn 2d rpg game deving ?

my goal is for making the game for like nintendo switch consoles

Hi, welcome to the community.

These sort of questions are hard to answer because game dev is very, very complex, beginners often tend to think that it’s all about coding, which is very, very wrong, but I’m not sure if you have experience or not. To give you the best answer I can, let me ask you.

• Do you have any experience making games? Any sort of game, it doesn’t matter if it’s a board game, or even opened and toyed around with the Age of Empire’s editor, or any other game with an editor.
  • Do you have any experience coding?
  • Will you work with a team or are you going solo?

We currently don’t have a course on JRPG (and definitely not 2d JRPG, though ultimately, this is just a matter of converting from 3d to 2d in the Animator).

The RPG course series will get you the fundamentals and a reasonable starting point for a JRPG. The 2D course should teach you enough about managing 2D games in general.

In terms of a JRPG, you’ll want to use most of what we’re doing, but when it’s time for combat, you’ll Save the current scene and jump into a combat scene. At this point, your party should be selected from your characters and the enemies should be spawned into the scene. When the battle is over, save and load the current scene. I would keep hidden dummy characters in each scene (basically with just the Health, Experience, and if in the later courses the TraitStore, as well as the Inventory, StatsEquipment, and ActionStore.

No experience in making games but im willing to learn
I did do some C++ coding in my college classes CSC 170
And it’ll just be me for now if i decide to join a team

Is that course available on Udemy to purchase to learn like with “Complete C# Unity Game Developer 2D,” or is it available somewhere else ?

thx sir
and is there a course to make the backgrounds like the towns and dungeons too ?

My suggestion would be to complete the 2D course, try to make the projects your own after you finish it, get them to the public, ask for feedback and improve those games, that will give you the game design experience you’ll need because, at least to my knowledge, there are not many great game design courses out there, the courses in here do touch on that a little bit, but I think the real reason why there aren’t many great Game Design courses it’s because experience can teach you more than a course.

Participate in a few game jams, the Gamedev.tv team will be holding a game jam soon, @Brian_Trotter can correct me here.

I also suggest looking into other engines, Unity is great, it is my favorite engine by far, but using something like RPG Maker or even GameMaker can certainly make things easier, you can even start there and then move into Unity.

If you are looking for art courses, I suggest taking the following, you can find them on this site or Udemy.

There are a few other art courses I’ve taken, look for Jaysen Batchelor in Udemy, stick with his drawing courses because his pixel art course is not that good.

1 Like

i havent gotten to get both rpg maker or gamemaker
is there tutorials on using them too to make the overworld and dungeons ?
and im self taught at drawing too

I haven’t looked for tutorials for any of those engines, and to be honest, there’s no real need to buy a tutorial, they are very easy to use, especially RPGMaker since it pretty much works like an in-game editor, but if you need information their sites have tutorials that can teach you the basics and a little more.

If you are planning to use them solely to create the environments I suggest you stick with Unity and use the Tilemap tools and addons instead, otherwise it will be a nightmare to import the environments to Unity.

Privacy & Terms