Want to make a character that can get in and out of the ship when you land

I was thinking it would be so awesome being able to make it so, if you set your ship on the ground a certain way, say upright, you could then press a button, and a ladder would come out of the ship or some sort of walkway, and a person would come down and walk out, and the camera would then zoom in, and you would then be controlling that person as your character in a platformer/sidescroller adventure. Then when ready, go back to your ship, press a button and get inside, and the camera would then zoom back out to its original position, and resume ship controls. I want to be able to do this, just not entirely sure I know how. I feel I’m working my way there though. Any thoughts or suggestions or ideas? Thanks guys!

This would be great, just be aware that this would take a lot of time depending on what you want to do, specially because of level design and also because you would be creating two games instead of one, that doubles the amount of work at least, probably triples it because you would have to connect the gameplay in some way with the other.

There’s a game that does something similar, you could take ideas from it:

I would suggest going 2D for the pilot part, not using 2D physics but artistically going for a 2D approach, that could make the workload a little less heavier (of course this would depend on a lot of factors), or you could buy some assets in case you need them. As for code and all of that, it would not be that hard to implement, my pseudo code would look something like this.

• Check if ship is in “landing position” and if it’s not moving.
  • If player presses a button then the pilot comes out.
    • Deactivate the ship controls.
    • Activate the pilot controls.
  • Zoom the camera

I would handle the transition with an animation for an easier approach. A global enum could work to handle the deactivation/activation of the controls for both sections.

Wow that looks crazy! Thanks for your reply! I will definatley check it out, I don’t mind the amount of time it takes to do something, as long as I am able to do it, I don’t mind. I’ll put in the hours, no questions asked.

Privacy & Terms