WACK-A-MOLE QUEST: ‘Gotcha’ - Solutions

Quest: Wack-A-Mole Quest
Challenge: Gotcha

Feel free to share your solutions, ideas and creations below. If you get stuck, you can find some ideas here for completing this challenge.

Alright, I believe I barely got this working with minimal speghetti code. I’m interested to see what everyone else came up with. I started by duplicating the Celebration Particle System, unpacking it and tweaking it a bit. Once that was done I duplicated it once for each enemy, but didn’t make them children of the enemy GameObject.

public class Exploder : MonoBehaviour
{

[SerializeField] private ParticleSystem capture;

private void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    {
        if (other.tag.Equals("Player"))
		{
            capture.transform.position = this.transform.GetChild(0).gameObject.transform.position;
            capture.Play();
            print("Aww, you got me ");
            Destroy(gameObject);
        }
    }
}

I wanted to only use one particle system and just reuse it for each enemy, but after .Play() it was disabled and I couldn’t figure out how to reset it. So I took the easy way out here and just duplicated it and kept it outside the GameObject to avoid issues with Destroy().

The second issue I ran into was the positioning. It turns out the box we see is the child GameObject known as Body and I had to do some quick googling to figure out how to call the child so I could position the explosion correctly.

Again, I think I’d like to make the particle effect a child to the body, but I couldn’t figure out how to get the effect to play and still destroy() the enemy.

This is my jank :slight_smile:

My solution was similar. I duplicated the selebration particle system, as I have no idea how to create a decent one. Shrunk it down to 0.1 on x/y/z and made it a prefab variant. I added it to the enemy prefab and instantiate it at the player’s location. Probably should have just made it part of the player, so it would look like a power up from killing the enemy.

[SerializeField] GameObject killEffect;

{
        if (other.CompareTag("Player"))
        {
            print("Aww, you got me");
            var killObject = Instantiate(killEffect);
            var particle = killObject.GetComponent<ParticleSystem>();
            particle.transform.position = other.transform.position;
            Destroy(particle, particle.main.duration);
            Destroy(gameObject);
        }
    }

This took me quite some time but I think I figured it out.
Not sure if it’s the right or a good way, but it works.

ParticleSystem explosion;    
    [SerializeField] MeshRenderer meshRenderer;

{        
        explosion = GetComponentInChildren<ParticleSystem>();
        explosion.Play();        
        meshRenderer.enabled = false;        
        Destroy(gameObject, 1f);         
    }

I dragged the body of the enemy into the Meshrenderer SerializeField.

1 Like

I found the cleanest solution was to instantiate a FX prefab at the body postion

Care if you leave the enemy around too long as you may double capture them

I placed the particle system on the enemy prefab, so if I destroy it too soon the particle won’t display.
that’s why I let the cube live for 1 second.
I might be able to fix it by also disabling the box collider.

But thanks for the reply, I wouldn’t have figured that out myself :slight_smile:

For this one, I created a resource folder and dropped a particle system into it. Once I had my effect I modified the Exploder class

{
        if(other.tag == "Player")
        {
            print("Aww, you got me");
            InstantiateParticles();
            Destroy(gameObject);
        }
    }

void InstantiateParticles()
    {
        Vector3 enemyPosition = transform.GetChild(0).transform.position;
        Vector3 position = new Vector3(enemyPosition.x, 0.5f, enemyPosition.z);

GameObject particles  = Instantiate(Resources.Load("Catch Particles"), position, Quaternion.identity) as GameObject;
        ParticleSystem catchParticles = particles.GetComponent<ParticleSystem>();
        catchParticles.Play();
        Destroy(particles, 2f);
    }