VS Code vs Studio 2022

Can I use Visual Studio Community 2022 instead of VS Code? Is there a good reason for me to stick with VS Code? I’m more experience in game dev and just using this course to refresh my unity game dev skills.

Personal Opinion: Never, ever, ever use VSCode. With extra ever.

I don’t see any reason why you can’t use Visual Studio. I use Visual Studio exclusively, and other people (I’m pointing at you, @Brian_Trotter) use Jetbrains Rider. The reason the courses use VSCode is because it is free and available on all platforms - so it’s easy for everyone on Windows, Mac or Linux to follow along. If you are already comfortable with Visual Studio, use it

Yeah, I agree. I don’t like VS Code that much. It’s lightweight but it’s not an IDE, really. It’s a fancy text editor. However, it’s good for scripting languages like Lua or UnrealScript (if you’re even modding old Unreal games).

I will say, VS Code looks the same on Windows and Mac while VS Studio doesn’t. The Mac version looks vastly different and it’s annoying compared to the Windows version.

Yeah, this is why it’s being used in the courses. It makes it easy for everyone to follow along because it looks the same everywhere and no-one gets confused about what the lecturer is doing. Or at least that’s the idea

I agree with you when it comes to C#. However, VS Code is great for Javascript.

@Oblivion2500, I have been using VS for years. If you want to use it too instead of VS Code, feel free to do that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah VS Code is great for scripting languages like Javascript, Lua, UnrealScript, and Python.

Best to use VS Studio for Object-Orieted Programming like C++, C#, Java, C, and Objective-C. I guess it also comes down to user preferences as well.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms