VS code intellisense not working

Hello guys, I have a problem with Visual Code, the autocomplete for unity was working fine until some update of C#, I have googled around and found that the newest version is breaking the unity intellisense , I installed C# 1.21.12 and also the recommended extensions but still no autocomplete a.k.a intellisense, did someone else faced this problem, and how can I fix this ?

Hi Ilia,

Have you already watched lecture “Fixing Visual Studio Problems” (currently #4 in the Unity 2D course, #7 in the Unity 3D course)?

Hello Nina, I have tried from the 3D course, but the problem is I’m using Visual Code… Everything is fine with the scripts, they are into the project, I have the tools for unity and its still not working as its supposed.

Ah, my bad. I read Visual Studio instead of VS Code.

What do you mean by “update of C#”? Could you undo or uninstall the .NET Framework (C#)? If so, you could install an older version, for example, 4.7.2. See at the bottom of this link:

Which version of Unity do you use? Is VS Code selected as your External Script Editor in Unity (Edit > Preferences > External Tools)?

The VS Code has omnisharp installed the newest version and after my google research I saw people installing different version that this into VS Code and fixing the problem, but with me this does not work…

Since you mentioned that the autocomplete had worked before, try to install the version you had and do not update.

I assumed you followed the instruction on the Microsoft website?

Tried everything, reinstalling VS Code and still nothing… intellisense not working also autocomplete… Tried to go back to different omnisharp version and still nothing…

Maybe editing the settings.json file helps. See here.

If not, try to install Visual Studio.

Alternatively, please feel free to ask our helpful community of students for advice in our official Discord chat.

Fixed.
Problem was that a extension Unity Debugger was requiring the latest omnisharp version and as soon as I turn the newest version off and install older one, the extension was automatically turning off the oldest version and enabling the newest which was causing this.

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing your solution! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms